Reply wasn't posted; will test new post

daz

From: "Dennis Oelkers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 3:49 PM

The point is that the policy of ruby-talk is quite sleazy whilc
they're very strict for Usenet postings. People can send almost any
garbage to the mailing list if they're subscribed to it and allowed
to post. In my opinion it is the right behaviour to drop any mail
which is not well-formed as soon as possible.

This leads to the conclusion that we'll either have some sort of
inconsistency between those two medias, or we would have to synchronize
the policies up to a certain point where those inconsistencies converge
against 0.

Hi Dennis,

You present a strong defence but I bring some grim prosecution evidence :-|

A news posting[1] by Sean Russell to c.l.ruby via Google which has an
'In-Reply-To:' but no 'References:' header (i.e. "not well-formed")
which made the trip from Sean's den around Usenet through the gateway
and out to the ruby-talk ML[2] like a Ferrari round Nurburgring.

The accusation is that your server at news.zrz.tu-berlin.de is applying
a filter to outgoing news messages which is of no help to the gateway.

I get a 441 - "Followup without a reference"

from http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc977/rfc977.html
RFC 977 - Network News Transfer Protocol

2.4.2. Status Responses

4xx - Command was correct, but couldn't be performed for
some reason.
[...]
x4x - Posting
[...]
x8x - Nonstandard (private implementation) extensions

[...]

441 posting failed

"Followup without a reference" looks like a private implementation
message and error code 48x is provided for use with such extensions.
IMHO, the missing postings don't fail - they're denied.

Is there any way the g/way can be made exempt from these non-RFC checks ?
(e.g. ignore errors_like_that if source == gateway)

Your endurance is much appreciated.

daz

[1] The headers (before mirroring to ML):
From: "SER" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
Subject: Re: CSV bug?
Date: 18 May 2004 06:51:12 -0700

[2] After mirroring to ML http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/100614

Thomas Fini Hansen

You're bashing the wrong pig here.

Perhaps, but I'm not particularly convinced.
"Outlook" itself does no news (at least older versions, I'm not
fully up to date). Instead it delegated news handling to "Outlook
Express" - a whole differnt piece of software (which I am using
btw).

Sounds reasonble to me, I'm not entirely up on Outlook either.
"Outlook Express" does a nice job inserting "References" headers,
which you can verify with this posting.

Yes, that's OE as a newsreader, but all my ranting was in the context
of O(E) as a mail client. Actually I figure it does a decent job as a
newsreader, but that'a not how most people use it.

But I did a quick investigation, in a post by Austin Ziegler:
And it has no In-Reply-To or References.. But the Tread headers. OK,
that's general MS evilness, there's no reason that because Outlook is
attached to an Exchange server, that it can't make proper mails when
sending to external addresses.

Then theres daz
And it looks good, but again, he's using it as a mailreader.

Digging through some private mail, I see some more of the Exchange
problem, and some Outlook/OE mail that do have the In-Reply-To, but no