    Some of you may have faced/solved similar problem some where.

    Help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mir Nazim, May 31, 2005

  2. Mir Nazim

    Magnus Lycka Guest

    Mir Nazim wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I m planning to use ZODB for an applicaton. Is any one aware of report
    > generators like Data Vision, Crystal Reports, fo python object
    > databases.

    ZODB isn't like a relational database. It doesn't have a
    query language etc. In other words, a report generator for
    a ZODB application is just a report generator for an
    arbitrary Python app. You'll have to use Python to traverse
    through your object structures and extract the data you
    want.

    I don't know of any convenient Python tool for generating
    headers or footers or doing grouping and aggregation in any
    convenient way in Python, but it's probably rather trivial
    Python coding. If it's non-trivial due to your data structures,
    it's unlikely that a toolkit would help... Obviously, it's
    trivial to code things like accumulators that sum up values
    as you iterate over objects.

    Concerning page layout, there are several options depending
    on your target document format and the kind of reports you
    plan to achieve. If you want pdf output, ReportLab is nice.
    There are a number of tollkits to help you create HTML,
    and there are GUI components such as Tkinter canvas and
    correspondning things in wxPython to create on-screen pages
    that can also be printed.

    If you want diagrams, there are many toolkits, but I
    haven't used any of them the last years, so I won't give
    any recommendations. Some of them suport several file
    formats as well as on-screen presentation in several GUI
    toolkits.

    Still, there are certainly aspects of this that could fit
    in some kind of framework. E.g. if you want aggregated data
    to be printed at the bottom of each page, the backend that
    determines exact page layout, e.g. a layer over ReportLab
    or some other backend that creates text files or HTML should
    be able to call back and tell the part of the code that
    understands the data when it's time to sum things up. It
    might not be until you've fed your "records" into the
    backend that you will know that it's time for a page break.
    (Another option would be that the report itself includes some
    kind of instructions for such aggregates, and that they are
    calculated in each backend.)

    I'd be interested in such a tool. Actually, the only one I
    know of is the one we use here at Carmen, but that's not
    publically available, and it's really tied to our applications
    and our propietary rules language. I suspect there are other
    such inhouse products at other companies though... Maybe some
    that are adapted to more arbitrary data sources than ours.
    Magnus Lycka, May 31, 2005