Reporting the line number of an exception

sophie_newbie

I'm sure this is exceedingly simple but I can't find it anywhere. When
I catch an exception I would like to report the line number of the
exception as well as the error info.

try:
someError()
except Exception, e:
"print_error_and_line_number"

How do I find the line number?

Thanks for any help!

Peter Otten

sophie_newbie said:
I'm sure this is exceedingly simple but I can't find it anywhere. When
I catch an exception I would like to report the line number of the
exception as well as the error info.

try:
someError()
except Exception, e:
"print_error_and_line_number"

How do I find the line number?

If you want just the line number:

tb = sys.exc_info()[2]
print tb.tb_lineno

You may also have a look at the traceback module, e. g.:

traceback.print_exc()

Peter