reporting using SQL Server security

BillE

I am developing locally processed reports with VB2005, displayed in a report
viewer on a web form.

Unfortunately my environment does not permit integrated security.

How can I supply the username and password to the report at run time when
the web form opens?

I tried populating a dataset and supplying the datatable to the report with
LocalReport.DataSources.Add method, but the report requires a datasource
instance and I get errors before I can add the data table as a data source.

I used a stored procedure to create the dataset the report is based on, and
it tries to load the report at runtime with the original dataset, but I get
login errors or errors like "a data source instance has not been
supplied..."

Thanks for your help

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Use a connection string that allows access to the data in the report. You
can then always hit that site. If you only want certain people to be able to
hit the site, add headers. Not completely safe, if this is an Internet site,
but fine for Intranet. If you want more security, issue X.509 certificates
and use them to allow or deny access. A bit more painful, but certainly more
secure.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

BillE

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it - I've been struggling with this
for days.

I have been trying to replace the original datasource which I used to create
the report with a data table I populate at run time using the current login
information, but when I call ReportViewer.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear(),
and add a new ReportDataSource, I get an exception "A data source instance
has not been supplied for the data source".

Is this not possible?

Thanks again
Bill