Reports and the ReportViewer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by ME, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. ME

    ME Guest

    I want to generate a simple report that will display information from my
    customer table in a report format. I created a simple Customers.rdlc file
    that contains three text boxes bound to

    =First(Fields!Name.Value)
    =First(Fields!Address.Value)
    =First(Fields!Contact.Value)

    placed a ReportViewer Control on one of my aspx pages. I selected the
    Customers.rdlc file and accepted the default datasource it generated. (I am
    using a Typed Dataset Object as my source)

    Trouble is it doesn't work. I get nothing in the report at run time. If I
    change my datasource so that it looks at the Customers dataAdapter of the
    Typed dataset I manage to get a single report but it will not display any
    more than 1 report. If I remove the "First" aggragete expression from my
    customer report fields I get "ERROR" at run time.

    Is there something I a missing here? Does anyone have, or know of, a
    tutorial that can guide me through creating a simple report that doesn't use
    SQL Reporting Services?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    ME, Jan 20, 2006

  2. ME

    Dubravko Guest

    "ME" <> wrote in message
    >I want to generate a simple report that will display information from my
    >customer table in a report format. I created a simple Customers.rdlc file
    >that contains three text boxes bound to
    >
    > =First(Fields!Name.Value)
    > =First(Fields!Address.Value)
    > =First(Fields!Contact.Value)
    >
    > placed a ReportViewer Control on one of my aspx pages. I selected the
    > Customers.rdlc file and accepted the default datasource it generated. (I
    > am using a Typed Dataset Object as my source)
    >
    > Trouble is it doesn't work. I get nothing in the report at run time. If
    > I change my datasource so that it looks at the Customers dataAdapter of
    > the Typed dataset I manage to get a single report but it will not display
    > any more than 1 report. If I remove the "First" aggragete expression from
    > my customer report fields I get "ERROR" at run time.
    >
    > Is there something I a missing here? Does anyone have, or know of, a
    > tutorial that can guide me through creating a simple report that doesn't
    > use SQL Reporting Services?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Matt

    Have you fill your dataset, it looks like dataset is empty.

    Regards D

    Dubravko, Jan 20, 2006

  3. ME

    Ranko Guest

    ME wrote:
    > I want to generate a simple report that will display information from my
    > customer table in a report format. I created a simple Customers.rdlc file
    > that contains three text boxes bound to
    >
    > =First(Fields!Name.Value)
    > =First(Fields!Address.Value)
    > =First(Fields!Contact.Value)
    >
    > placed a ReportViewer Control on one of my aspx pages. I selected the
    > Customers.rdlc file and accepted the default datasource it generated. (I am
    > using a Typed Dataset Object as my source)
    >
    > Trouble is it doesn't work. I get nothing in the report at run time. If I
    > change my datasource so that it looks at the Customers dataAdapter of the
    > Typed dataset I manage to get a single report but it will not display any
    > more than 1 report. If I remove the "First" aggragete expression from my
    > customer report fields I get "ERROR" at run time.
    >
    > Is there something I a missing here? Does anyone have, or know of, a
    > tutorial that can guide me through creating a simple report that doesn't use
    > SQL Reporting Services?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Matt

    If you want to display all records then:
    - Open your report file (customer.rdlc)
    - Instead of textboxes you can use Table component from Toolbox (drag it
    on report)
    - Then drag field from datatable to first column in middle row (details)
    of table component, then second field from datatable to second column etc.
    - First row is header and third is footer
    - When finished click in left-upper corner of Table component to select
    it and in Proprties pick DataSetName
    That's it.

    Ranko, Jan 20, 2006
  4. ME

    ME Guest

    Yes. Please see for yourself: I can't get the report to show more than one
    record. Perhaps it is more difficult than I thought?

    http://mreprogramming.com/currentrelease/WindowsApplication25.zip

    Thanks,

    Matt

    ME, Jan 20, 2006
  5. ME

    ME Guest

    But I need each customer on a SEPERATE page. This method puts them all on a
    single page and drastically reduces my formating. If all I wanted was a
    table I would use a different approach than a report (i.e., an HTML table or
    datagrid).

    Thanks,

    Matt

    ME, Jan 20, 2006