REPOST: A specific sort of WEBrick configuration

Lloyd Zusman

Around three weeks ago, I posted the following query here and to the
webrick mailing list. I haven't seen any replies in either forum, but
before I give up and assume that no one knows the answer, I'm trying one
more time with this repost ...

I'm trying to configure WEBrick to create a server that will behave in
the following way. I have made a number of false starts, and before I
dive in and try again, I'm wondering if anyone has created a setup that
they can describe which has each and every one of the following
characteristics:

- One WEBrick instance answers queries for a number of different
virtual hosts that are listening on the same IP address.

- For each virtual host, WEBrick can serve up different content.

- This content is organized in subdirectories whose names are based in
some way on the virtual hostnames. Within each of these
subdirectories is contained the site-specific ruby code which controls
the appearance and functionality of each of these individual sites.

- Session management is easily available and selectable, such that any
individual sites that want session management simply have to request
it via some sort of configuration; and any sites which don't want
session management don't have to use it and can disable it.

I have found examples which show how to manage sessions (for example,
using tofu), and other examples which show how to handle the virtual
hosts. However, I have yet to see how to have all of these features in
a single WEBrick instance.

If someone could point me to an example of how all of this can be done
within a single instantiation of WEBrick, I would be quite grateful.

Thanks in advance.