[repost] external

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Larry Gates, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    Just wanted to make sure of soemthing and couldn't find it in K&R.

    q1) External variables are always initialized. (To zero if not explicitly
    initialized to another value.)

    q2) External variables are declared in the same file, but outside of any
    function.

    q3) The one that is actually used for initialization is the one that does
    not have the extern attribute.

    q4) C requires that one not have the extern attribute, and that all others
    do have it.

    Thanks for your comment.
    --
    larry gates

    Hey, if pi == 3, and three == 0, does that make pi == 0? :)
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    --
    larry gates

    Well, I think Perl should run faster than C. :)
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Feb 11, 2009

  2. Larry Gates

    Guest

    Re: external

    On 11 Feb, 10:45, Larry Gates <> wrote:

    > [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    that's odd, I thought I replied to it...

    , Feb 11, 2009

  3. Larry Gates

    Guest

    Re: external

    On 11 Feb, 13:14, wrote:
    > On 11 Feb, 10:45, Larry Gates <> wrote:
    >
    > > [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    > that's odd, I thought I replied to it...

    yes, if you look up "external variables" in google

    , Feb 11, 2009
  4. Larry Gates wrote:
    > [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
    the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
    were worth addressing had already been addressed.

    Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
    these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
    it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

    Martin Ambuhl, Feb 11, 2009
  5. In article <gmutlp$bp7$>,
    Martin Ambuhl <> wrote:
    >Larry Gates wrote:
    >> [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    >The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
    >the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
    >were worth addressing had already been addressed.
    >
    >Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
    >these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
    >it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

    Always the consumate charmer, eh Marty?

    Kenny McCormack, Feb 11, 2009
  6. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:16:44 -0500, Martin Ambuhl wrote:

    > Larry Gates wrote:
    >> [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    > The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
    > the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
    > were worth addressing had already been addressed.
    >
    > Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
    > these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
    > it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

    Thanks, Martin, it took me three seconds to find it today, while yesterday
    I hunted and pecked for a half hour in vain.
    --
    larry gates

    If this were Ada, we'd simply doc it as "erroneous".
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Feb 12, 2009
  7. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    Re: external

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:22:03 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    > On 11 Feb, 13:14, wrote:
    >> On 11 Feb, 10:45, Larry Gates <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> [As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

    >> that's odd, I thought I replied to it...

    > yes, if you look up "external variables" in google

    I don't know how I missed the original posts *and* the f'ups. I've replied
    now on the original thread. Thanks.
    --
    larry gates

    Chip Salzenberg sent me a complete patch to add System V IPC (msg, sem and
    shm calls), so I added them. If that bothers you, you can always undefine
    them in config.sh. :) -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Feb 12, 2009