[repost] external

Larry Gates

[As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

Just wanted to make sure of soemthing and couldn't find it in K&R.

q1) External variables are always initialized. (To zero if not explicitly
initialized to another value.)

q2) External variables are declared in the same file, but outside of any
function.

q3) The one that is actually used for initialization is the one that does
not have the extern attribute.

q4) C requires that one not have the extern attribute, and that all others
do have it.

Thanks for your comment.

Martin Ambuhl

Larry said:
[As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
were worth addressing had already been addressed.

Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

Kenny McCormack

Larry said:
[As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
were worth addressing had already been addressed.

Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

Always the consumate charmer, eh Marty?

Larry Gates

Larry said:
[As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

The thread was "dropped", in the sense that no one bothered continuing
the discussion, for the simple reason that any issues it raised that
were worth addressing had already been addressed.

Perhaps your newsreader settings are such that you simply can't see
these messages. If so, any "fault" lies with those settings, and fixing
it is within your power. Why repost a message fully answered already?

Thanks, Martin, it took me three seconds to find it today, while yesterday
I hunted and pecked for a half hour in vain.

Larry Gates

[As far as my eyes can tell, this post was dropped.]

that's odd, I thought I replied to it...

yes, if you look up "external variables" in google

I don't know how I missed the original posts *and* the f'ups. I've replied
now on the original thread. Thanks.
--
larry gates

Chip Salzenberg sent me a complete patch to add System V IPC (msg, sem and
shm calls), so I added them. If that bothers you, you can always undefine
them in config.sh. :) -- Larry Wall in <[email protected]>