Repost:Handling large C code (code in general)

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by teachtiro@yahoo.com, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I need some guidance in taking a step forward into being a good open
    source developer. I have knowledge in c programming. Now, i wanna be
    part of open source community, but when we take a product the source
    code is very huge, there must be some kind of documentation on which
    function does what and what it relies upon. Are there some procedures
    followed by open source development community to make it easy for
    others to understand the source code (sure, this is not something
    restricted to open source, every development team must be doing this),
    as an e.g. consider a command in linux, i would like to edit how it
    behaves, how should i proceed.
    one way, for e.g., is to use 'find' to look for the function, but iam
    expecting more clear way of doing than that.

    I would be happy if someone can point me to a guide which teaches
    open source development basing on programming skills in C (teach which
    tools to use finding particular function of a program, debugging etc)

    -tiro
    ps: Some might be unhappy with the forum i chose for putting this
    question, but , i did it due to the impression that this forum has a
    lot of software developers and they could provide me guidance.

    , Apr 19, 2005

  2. Alan Balmer Guest

    On 19 Apr 2005 00:21:40 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello,
    > I need some guidance in taking a step forward into being a good open
    >source developer. I have knowledge in c programming. Now, i wanna be
    >part of open source community, but when we take a product the source
    >code is very huge, there must be some kind of documentation on which
    >function does what and what it relies upon. Are there some procedures
    >followed by open source development community to make it easy for
    >others to understand the source code (sure, this is not something
    >restricted to open source, every development team must be doing this),
    >as an e.g. consider a command in linux, i would like to edit how it
    >behaves, how should i proceed.
    >one way, for e.g., is to use 'find' to look for the function, but iam
    >expecting more clear way of doing than that.
    >
    > I would be happy if someone can point me to a guide which teaches
    >open source development basing on programming skills in C (teach which
    >tools to use finding particular function of a program, debugging etc)
    >
    > -tiro
    >ps: Some might be unhappy with the forum i chose for putting this
    >question, but , i did it due to the impression that this forum has a
    >lot of software developers and they could provide me guidance.

    This forum has a lot of people who drive automobiles, too, but it
    isn't a driving school. Why not go to http://sourceforge.net/people/ ,
    which has 87 developer requests right now, and follow up on some of
    them?

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting