Repost:Handling large C code (code in general)

teachtiro

Hello,
I need some guidance in taking a step forward into being a good open
source developer. I have knowledge in c programming. Now, i wanna be
part of open source community, but when we take a product the source
code is very huge, there must be some kind of documentation on which
function does what and what it relies upon. Are there some procedures
followed by open source development community to make it easy for
others to understand the source code (sure, this is not something
restricted to open source, every development team must be doing this),
as an e.g. consider a command in linux, i would like to edit how it
behaves, how should i proceed.
one way, for e.g., is to use 'find' to look for the function, but iam
expecting more clear way of doing than that.

I would be happy if someone can point me to a guide which teaches
open source development basing on programming skills in C (teach which
tools to use finding particular function of a program, debugging etc)

-tiro
ps: Some might be unhappy with the forum i chose for putting this
question, but , i did it due to the impression that this forum has a
lot of software developers and they could provide me guidance.

Alan Balmer

[...]

This forum has a lot of people who drive automobiles, too, but it
isn't a driving school. Why not go to http://sourceforge.net/people/ ,
which has 87 developer requests right now, and follow up on some of
them?