repost managed group: SSL and certification path installation from asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Arno Broeders, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    My asp.net web site is running SSL on a certificate from
    our ms certification services server.

    1> Can I detect from within asp.net or client script if
    our CA certificate chain is installed on the client
    requesting the asp.net page? How to do?

    2> Can I provide a link on my asp.net page to install our
    CA certificate chain to the client without redirecting to
    http://cert-server/certsrv? How to do?

    Should this be done with the active-x component x-
    enrolllib? I can't get Xenrolllib working in asp.net coz
    it doesn't have strong name.

    The goal for this is to make the asp.net login page
    autoinstall the certificate chain if it doesn't exsist on
    the client, so that the SSL certificates always are
    trusted without error's and warnings.

    regards,

    Arno Broeders
    Arno Broeders, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Arno Broeders

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Arno,

    As I understand, you want to detect the certificates installed on the
    client in ASP.NET. In ASP.NET, the Request object have a property
    "ClientCertificate" which including the certificate information from client
    side:

    frlrfsystemwebhttprequestclassclientcertificatetopic.asp

    You may take a look to see if this is helpful.

    To install a certificate chain, I think we need to redirect the user to
    http://cert-server/certsrv. From security view, we cannot install a
    certificate without user's agreement.

    Hope this helpful,

    Luke