REQ: Help making website

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shawn B., Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Shawn B.

    Shawn B. Guest

    Greetings,

    I have have been working for almost 18 months on a set of WebControls where
    some are similar to the ASP.NET standard and well-enhanced while other
    controls are completely new and interesting. All my controls are
    implemented from scratch (in VB.NET). Some are C#, er I plan to have a
    second copy. I'm more productive in VB.NET (mainly because of the better
    intellisense support -- yes, I rely on it because I don't remember every
    object in the web.* namespaces).

    Anyway, I have wanted to write up articles and use each control as an
    example for different aspects of the process. I have plans to also create
    my own blogging engine, a different type of a WIKI where people can
    callaborate in groups by permission but all can read it. A few other
    things. All this I can develop no problem.

    What I am having problems with is actually designing my website. I'm really
    not a site designer (but I'm an exceptionally good programmer). I'm finding
    it difficult to come up with a good site layout and actually implementing
    it. I would rather focus on the controls.

    I want something that strkes similarity with
    http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/

    Where my main topics will be at the top (as in the site above) and then the
    subtopics will be on the site (not in the site above).

    To start with, I only have a few controls. I also have my own personal
    ASP.NET control building FAQ that rivals all the others I've seen combined.
    I plan to implenet that FAQ into some sort of FAQ engine for all to use (and
    hopefully contribute).

    I already have the domain (I've been paying $50/mo.) for 3 months now but it
    has nothing on it yet. It's being hosted by http://www.easerve.com for
    those who are interested in knowing.

    This website is intended to be an open learning source for those who would
    learn from it (and to be my playground). I have ideas for some WebControls
    that will blow your mind away (in Research stage now but fully functional).
    It is not GPL, LGPL, FreeBSD stuff, but it is open in the sense that I'm
    developing and allowing you to use the source and the end result. I reserve
    the rights to my own work. If someone contributes, I'll respect their
    rights as well.

    What I'm asking for is if someone is willing to work with me and help me
    design a simple but profound website (in ASP.NET, of course, VS.NET 2003 --
    C#, VB.NET, J#, whatever, doesn't matter). I can't pay as I don't intend to
    profit from this but I in the end of my vision, it will be a cross between
    what I've described above, and ASP Today (one module of the overall picture)
    and planet-source-code, codeproject, a blogging engine, WIKI engine, a way
    to publish articules or columns that people can subscribe to, interactive
    tutorials and so on.

    My primary emphasis is on making these modules self-contained and fit for
    re-use by others who wish to use them (perhaps similar to the starter kits
    (I've never downloaded one but I understand the concept)) as well as a way
    to write up whatever I want and publish it as working examples (such as a
    fictitious CRM system and so on).

    Yes, it sounds too good to be true. Most project die when they start out so
    big. Which is why I'm so far sticking with what I have got (16 custom
    WebControls implemented from scratch that completely replace the ASP.NET
    ones and provide interesting new functionality). Some of that new
    functionality has been announced in Whidbey (but I had it in the works long
    before I had a clue MS would do something with it) such as skinning. Other
    stuff I am doing I haven't heard word on it but I haven't installed the
    preview so I don't know.

    Anyway,
    If someone is interested in helping me with the Site design (read: designing
    the site) let me know. I'm hoping that as I make this site free of charge
    for the learning of all, that someone will be willing to follow the same
    spirit in desiging it with me. I don't intend on paying. This is a
    community thing that I'm not intending to profit from. Community in the
    sense that I plan to keep it open to the community.

    BTW: This site is intended for asp.net and webcontrols primarily and what
    you can do with them but I'm not limiting the vision. I plan to expand it
    but I won't be implementing too much non ASP.NET stuff.

    my website is: http://www.zenofdotnet.com

    Please let me know if you are willing to help. I am only looking for 1
    person (not many people or a team of people). I need to get past the first
    stage first so I don't get overwhealmed. Also, it's possible that we can
    continually work together to bring the site to life (as a team). In fact,
    that's what I'm hoping for.

    I'm American but I don't care where you are located. What I care about is
    that you have the ability to help me (don't have to be a GURU) and can speak
    decent Engrish (pun intended).

    (remove the obvious for the true email address).

    Thanks,
    Shawn
    Shawn B., Dec 3, 2003

  2. Shawn B.