req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by khiltrop@gesytec.de, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    there are expensive tools on the market, and I am asking what are the main
    benefits compared to what I am using now:
    the Xilinx IDE V6.2 + Modelsim XE II / Starter 5.7g

    and *what* actually *are* the recommended tools I could use, which are in
    any way 'better' and 'worth the price'

    concerning:

    * speed - my project could become ready earlier, caused by advantages of
    the tool
    * quality - better use of silicium, better warnings concerning pitfalls
    and bad programming
    * comfort - easier debugging
    * anything I may not imagine now

    Now, I am doing a medium complex FPGA project (XC2S100). Future projects
    may become more complex and contain processor core etc.

    Any comments or hints?

    Klaus

    , Jan 19, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > there are expensive tools on the market, and I am asking what are the main
    > benefits compared to what I am using now:
    > the Xilinx IDE V6.2 + Modelsim XE II / Starter 5.7g

    If you are getting your projects done on time without
    becoming too annoyed, don't worry about the tools.
    If your Fiat is running fine, don't buy a BMW.

    > and *what* actually *are* the recommended tools I could use, which are in
    > any way 'better' and 'worth the price'

    Free/inexpensive vendor tools use a Windows platform
    and have a bias away from vhdl simulation and synthesis
    toward wiring up device specific cores.
    Many designers are quite happy with this setup.
    I like a unix platform and having the full use of the vhdl language
    to describe and test the logic I need.

    > * speed - my project could become ready earlier, caused by advantages of
    > the tool

    For some, this means having cores available to wire up.
    To others this means a clean edit/simulation process
    to write and verify code.

    > * quality - better use of silicium, better warnings concerning pitfalls
    > and bad programming

    Some test their code with a synthesis run.
    Others use simulation.

    > Any comments or hints?

    If you inclined to buy one industrial strength tool,
    start with a fully licensed simulator.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 19, 2005

    Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    Thank you Mike for your answer.

    I expected more answers in general, and some names of products a
    professional developer must have,
    or something useful I do not know about.

    Seems that the free tools are quite good compared to expensive ones,
    seems that the advantage of prof. tools one pays for is not *that* big.

    Certainly experience is most important in this business.
    Also, using a good simulator and interpreting the results (and setup the
    right testbench) can be quite difficult for a newbie.

    Klaus

    , Jan 21, 2005
  4. Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation+ debugging/checking

    wrote:
    > Thank you Mike for your answer.

    You are welcome.

    > I expected more answers in general,

    consider a search
    here's one
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=vhdl tools tree neeraj

    > and some names of products a
    > professional developer must have,

    I'm not sure that there are any.

    > or something useful I do not know about.

    Life has its disappointments.

    > Seems that the free tools are quite good compared to expensive ones,
    > seems that the advantage of prof. tools one pays for is not *that* big.

    If you really need to know, get a trial
    license and try it yourself.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    <> wrote in message
    > Seems that the free tools are quite good compared to expensive ones,
    > seems that the advantage of prof. tools one pays for is not *that*

    big.
    As far as VHDL simulators go, I've never found a free simulator that was
    of practical use for any real design of even modest proportions. So, in
    that sense, the advantage of professional tools that you have to pay for
    is HUGE. (If anyone knows of a free simulator that is useful for
    running anything other than examples from a textbook, I'll like to see
    it.)

    Charles Bailey

    Charles Bailey, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Ajeetha Guest

    Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    Have you tried Simli from http://www.symphonyeda.com? I've simulated
    LEON core in it without any issues and I find it excellent!
    Ajeetha
    http://www.noveldv.com

    Ajeetha, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Jezwold Guest

    Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    It terms of simulators Ive been using the unlicenced version of
    modelsim 5.3d for all of my projects and apart from the fact that
    anything more than a few hundred executable lines of code is made
    slower to simulate than it would be for a fully licenced version it
    does everything I need. I have even managed to simulate a 8052 core
    with it without undue problems,and having seen that a licence for the
    latest version of modelsim starts at $6000 I think i'll stick to what
    ive got.

    Jezwold, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    "Ajeetha" <> wrote in message
    > Have you tried Simli from http://www.symphonyeda.com? I've simulated
    > LEON core in it without any issues and I find it excellent!
    > Ajeetha
    > http://www.noveldv.com

    No, I have tried Simili. I'll give it a try in the near future.

    Charles Bailey

    Charles Bailey, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Re: Antwort: Re: req. recommendation of Tools around vhdl + simulation + debugging/checking

    "Jezwold" <> wrote in message
    > It terms of simulators Ive been using the unlicenced version of
    > modelsim 5.3d for all of my projects and apart from the fact that
    > anything more than a few hundred executable lines of code is made
    > slower to simulate than it would be for a fully licenced version it
    > does everything I need. I have even managed to simulate a 8052 core
    > with it without undue problems,and having seen that a licence for the
    > latest version of modelsim starts at $6000 I think i'll stick to what
    > ive got.

    I have ModelSim XE II 5.7g and it works well for simple little test
    cases.
    Anything of any practical size, in my experience, easily exceeds the
    line limit and it starts inserting l-o-n-g pauses to deliberately
    cripple the performance. I tried to debug a moderately complex design
    in spite of these long pauses, but after a while, gave up in
    frustration.

    Charles Bailey

    Charles Bailey, Feb 11, 2005