request for abuse (critique a site)

Michael Winter

On 25/09/2005 00:55, rossz wrote:

[snip]
FYI, the popout menus are done in pure css. [...]

Am I the only person that's had trouble using the menu? Unless the mouse
is moved very quickly from menu item to sub-menu, the sub-menu has a
very annoying habit of disappearing.

Mike

Jonathan N. Little

Barbara said:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:22:09 +0200, Jonathan N. Little

What's with the attachement? Please don't do that. If everybody needs
to see something, upload it to a server and post a URL.
Sorry, just lazy this time was so small thought I'd let it go. Shan't do
it again...

rossz

Jonathan said:
Or make the X's more Pirate 'Map-ish', you know follow the trail to 'X'
marks the spot! ;-) Quick example, tried to fit your decor

That might work. I'll have to lighten up the image a bit as it's too
dark. Doing that _might_ be within my capabilities, though that's very
questionable since I'm a technical person with close to zero artistic
capability.

rossz

Toby said:
I find it interesting you don't mention Spain, Portugal and Holland (I
avoid the use of the word "Netherlands" here deliberately) in your
important places category. All were great sea-faring nations at the time.

I left those out primarily because those countries were well covered in
other material when I originally put together the book. I should have
added them a long time ago, but never seem to get around to doing it.
XHTML perhaps, as the XML 1.0 specification doesn't include "strict" and
"loose" variants.

Actuall XML 1.1.
It's pretty well put-togther code. One fault that I can find is in your
somewhat odd use of heading elements. Your main heading is an <h3>,
chapter headings <h1> and sub-chapters <h2>.

That was from a mistake I made a long time ago. The main chapter
heading was originally a graphic, so the h1 wasn't used there. When I
changed it to text, I didn't want to dig through the text changing the
old headers.

I suppose I could write a perl script that does the fixup for me.

rossz

Jake said:
Have you tried navigating the site using only the keyboard (as many
people will need to do)?

No, I haven't tried. I'll have to give it a go.
If the primary entry has subsidiary entries I could only get to the
first subsidiary entry using IE6 and FireFox. I got to see them all in
Opera, but then again, in Opera the menu becomes just one long list of
links.

It looks correct in the Opera I downloaded yesterday. What version are
you using?
(a) A text-to-speech engine will render '1 1/2' ('one-and-a-half') as
'one one divided by two'.

I found and fixed all the fractionals. I had used 3/4 a few times, too.
Good catch. Thanks.

rossz

Michael said:
On 25/09/2005 00:55, rossz wrote:

[snip]
FYI, the popout menus are done in pure css. [...]

Am I the only person that's had trouble using the menu? Unless the mouse
is moved very quickly from menu item to sub-menu, the sub-menu has a
very annoying habit of disappearing.

Move horizontally to get to the submenu before moving up or down.
Moving quickly sometimes works because you get to the submenu before the
browser has a chance to notice the menu has lost focus.

Toby Inkster

rossz said:
Toby said:
[You meant] XHTML perhaps, as the XML 1.0 specification doesn't include
"strict" and "loose" variants.

Actuall XML 1.1.

Neither XML 1.0 nor 1.1 contains strict or loose variants.

XHTML 1.0 does, so I assume that's what you meant.

Michael Winter

Michael Winter wrote:
[snip]
Am I the only person that's had trouble using the menu?
[snip]

Move horizontally to get to the submenu before moving up or down.

<sarcasm>Really? I would never have guessed that!</sarcasm>

Moving the mouse steadily from item to sub-menu has a failure rate of
around 7/10 (Fx/Win 1.0.6). Moving the cursor slowly through the
transition fails every time.

It would appear that the border isn't considered part of the menu,
therefore the sub-menu is hidden again. Oddly, however, in a separate
test, interacting with a border is sufficient for the hover pseudo-class
to apply to an element.

[snip]

Mike

rossz

Michael said:
Michael Winter wrote:

[snip]
Am I the only person that's had trouble using the menu?

[snip]

Move horizontally to get to the submenu before moving up or down.

<sarcasm>Really? I would never have guessed that!</sarcasm>

Sorry, I didn't intend to treat you like an idiot.
It would appear that the border isn't considered part of the menu,
therefore the sub-menu is hidden again. Oddly, however, in a separate
test, interacting with a border is sufficient for the hover pseudo-class
to apply to an element.

Damn, you're right. The border, though tiny, is a problem. I'll try
fooling around with the style and see if I can do anything about that.

Rincewind

Of course it does. London has a long history of manufacturing and
exporting quality Light-Emitting Diodes throughout the world.

http://www.electronelec.co.uk/
Catalogue pp 43-45.

We also do good smoke-emitting resistors and fire-emitting fuseboards.

Uhmm I did consider that especially as I personally like the pretty blue
ones, but that LED is an acronym not "led" which is a word out of place :)