Request for comments on modular application design and security.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jorge Godoy, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. Jorge Godoy

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    Hello.

    I'm somewhat new to Python and I'm working on a modular application
    that needs to access a database. Let me describe what I've done so far
    and what I'm thinking about before asking something.

    We have a login program that authenticates the user against passwords
    available in the database and it opens a connection with priviledges
    only to read the user's table. If the access is granted than we
    os.execv() a second module that contains a menu list of modules of the
    system that are available for them. This will be used as the 'main
    menu'. If a button is clicked, the final program is called with all of
    its options. The problem is how to pass the information that the user
    was successfully authenticated and that connections should be opened
    with its username and password on the database.

    How can I pass this information from one proccess to another without
    compromising security and in a way that's available in both Linux and
    Windows? (They have half of the machines running each OS and are
    migrating to Linux.)

    Also, I'd appreciate comments on my approach. The program is going to
    be huge in size and with several screens. I've adopted separate
    modules to allow me to have it installed one piece a time and have it
    working nicely on old machines (mainly P-233 or a maximum of P-300
    with 64/128 MB of RAM).

    TIA,
    --
    Godoy. <>
    Jorge Godoy, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Jorge Godoy

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    Re: Request for comments on modular application design andsecurity.

    Jorge Godoy <> writes:

    > How can I pass this information from one proccess to another without
    > compromising security and in a way that's available in both Linux
    > and Windows? (They have half of the machines running each OS and are
    > migrating to Linux.)

    It seems that PyRO will do that. Is it the best approach?

    --
    Godoy. <>
    Jorge Godoy, Sep 9, 2003