Request For Comments: Web Application SHell

psema4

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for some experienced Javascript coders to take a look
at a recent post[1] on my blog and, if possible, to make suggestions
for improvment.

For some time now I've been working to reduce my pet project, Atomic
OS, into something that web developers of any skill level could use.
To get the ball rolling on the next version of my project, I created a
simplified edition of WASH - the core processing component of Atomic
OS.

Basically it just adds a simple console to a web page and executes
arbitrary Javascript - either via commands entered on a command line
or through code stored in div's. I find it useful for debugging and
modifying apps I'm working on... at runtime.

If you wouldn't mind spending a few moments I would really appreciate
your help. TIA.

- Scott.

[1] http://psema4.com/blog/blog1.php/2008/09/07/wash-se

David Karr

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for some experienced Javascript coders to take a look
at a recent post[1] on my blog and, if possible, to make suggestions
for improvment.

For some time now I've been working to reduce my pet project, Atomic
OS, into something that web developers of any skill level could use.
To get the ball rolling on the next version of my project, I created a
simplified edition of WASH - the core processing component of Atomic
OS.

Basically it just adds a simple console to a web page and executes
arbitrary Javascript - either via commands entered on a command line
or through code stored in div's.  I find it useful for debugging and
modifying apps I'm working on... at runtime.

Note that Firebug already provides this capability (the command-line
part, at least). Why would someone want to use yours when Firebug
works perfectly fine?

psema4

Overrides my legible choice of font with something lacking serifs and
unduly small. Therefore not worth bothering with.

The console window contains an INPUT (TYPE="text") and TEXTAREA and
does not modify the default font settings for either. I'm not sure
what I could do to accommodate you in this case.
And wash.js has lines exceeding 72 characters. Therefore ditto.

I didn't realize that would be an issue but it should be easy enough
to correct.

psema4

Note that Firebug already provides this capability (the command-line
part, at least). Why would someone want to use yours when Firebug
works perfectly fine?

Some reasons off the top of my head:

* Doesn't require the user (or administrator) to download or install
anything.
* It's (really) easy to modify.
* It's going to be replaced in the next few weeks by a more advanced
version, one that will be used in libatomos.js (the Atomic OS library)
and will provide facilities to web developers and applications (at
runtime) that Firebug does not.

A number of people have expressed interest in the Atomic OS project
over the years. To date though, I haven't been able to describe the
concept very well. Explanations of how to work with the code have
been lacking as well.

The WASH-SE post is the second post in a series where I'll try to
build the next version of Atomic OS from the ground up - while
explaining things as I go. Hopefully this will help others understand
the project a bit better.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <36e80e63-4c78-466f-bbd9-65f2087158fc@k3
0g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Mon, 8 Sep 2008 06:05:55, psema4
The console window contains an INPUT (TYPE="text") and TEXTAREA and
does not modify the default font settings for either. I'm not sure
what I could do to accommodate you in this case.

I was referring to the Web page, not the "product".
See news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.* for discussion of pages.