Request for Information on Registering and/or Certifying New XMLApplications

Discussion in 'XML' started by Alan Reed, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Alan Reed

    Alan Reed Guest

    To any subscriber who might be able to help,

    I represent the Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity (AMSAA) at
    Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. I am currently engaged in
    information gathering regarding the registration of new XML tags and
    schemas developed for use in the exchange of weapons effectiveness
    data for Army Models and Simulation tools and eventually for
    Joint-Service XML applications as well.

    I'm trying to determine if we should register our Army Data tags and
    schemas, as they are being developed, with the W3C and if there are
    minimium requirements that our code must meet to obtain certification.
    The point would be to establish a standard XML format that all Army and
    Joint DoD organizations would follow for smoother/faster data exchanges.

    I would also like to know if there is an Army, Department of Defense or
    other government organization that handles goverment/military XML
    registries and certifications and whether we should go through them in
    addition to or instead of the W3C for the certifications we are seeking.
    I sent a message to Liam Quin, the XML guru at W3C, but I think he will
    be too busy to help me.

    Thank you,
    Alan Reed
    US Army, AMSAA
    Alan Reed, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Re: Request for Information on Registering and/or Certifying New XML Applications

    Alan Reed <> writes:

    > I'm trying to determine if we should register our Army Data tags and
    > schemas, as they are being developed, with the W3C and if there are
    > minimium requirements that our code must meet to obtain certification.

    The W3C doesn't run any registry of XML tags or schemas, nor
    does it offer any kind of certification service, so
    if I understand you correctly that question becomes a no-op.

    There may well be registries or the like where you do want to
    place your schemas, but I am not well enough versed in the
    ins and outs of defense work to point you in a useful direction;
    I hope some other readers of the newsgroup can help.

    -C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
    World Wide Web Consortium
    MIT CS and AI Lab
    C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, May 1, 2004

  3. Alan Reed

    Alan Reed Guest

    Re: Request for Information on Registering and/or Certifying NewXML Applications

    C.M.,

    I actually did get a response from Liam Quin. He told me
    the same thing you did. I'm trying to contact U.S. government
    organizations now.

    Thank you for trying to help me.

    Alan

    Alan Reed, May 3, 2004