Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") = "" ???

Dan

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Mythran

Try Request.Form("__EVENTARGUMENT")

:)

Mythran

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a
post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are
invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the
control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the
event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Dan

same..

just a blank string
Try Request.Form("__EVENTARGUMENT")

:)

Mythran

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Aurel

I have already ask for it, because I have the same pb since i change my framework1.0 to 1.1 !

The answer:
It is not a good way to use Request.Form["__EventTarget"] and eventArgument because Microsoft don't guaranteed that event reference will be always call like this.

Aurel

"Dan" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de #[email protected]...
same..

just a blank string
Try Request.Form("__EVENTARGUMENT")

:)

Mythran

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Dan

hmm, so I wonder how I can find out what control caused the postback in the pageload..?
[...]

Alessandro Zifiglio

Not all controls postback the same way. You got various controls that postback and support different methods. Its been a long time and i dont rem what works with what off the top of my head. You might want to experiement with different methods. Here are the various methods you need to try and use. One of them is got to work for you ;)

If Request.Params.Item("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
--Do something---
Else
--Do something else---
End If

If Request.Params("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
--Do something---
Else
--Do something else---
End If

If Request.Form("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
--Do something---
Else
--Do something else---
End If

string postBackControl = Request.Params.Get("__EVENTTARGET");
[...]

And one other way...

If Request("btnSubmit") Is Nothing Then
' The btnSubmit button was NOT clicked.
Else
' The btnSubmit button was clicked.
End If

If using VB :)

Mythran

[...]

bruce barker

this only set for controls that you set autopostback on, it is blank for <asp:button> or <asp:imagebutton>, as they use the standard form post rules.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Dan

ok, so how is it possible to acheieve similar results with an ASP:Button ?

Any ideas?
this only set for controls that you set autopostback on, it is blank for <asp:button> or <asp:imagebutton>, as they use the standard form post rules.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I am trying to use
Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

vMike

If your _EVENTTARGET is "" then you would need iterate through your Form Keys maybe Request.Form.AllKeys(i) will work. I have never tried it. One of the keys has the control name and x and another has the controlname and y position I think.