Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") = "" ???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Dan, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

I am trying to use
    Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Dan, Dec 8, 2003
    1. Advertising

2. Dan

Mythran Guest

Try Request.Form("__EVENTARGUMENT")

:)

Mythran

"Dan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    I am trying to use
    Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a
    post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are
    invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the
    control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the
    event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Mythran, Dec 8, 2003
    1. Advertising

3. Dan

Dan Guest

same..

just a blank string
    "Mythran" <> wrote in message news:...

Mythran

"Dan" <> wrote in message news:...
    I am trying to use
    Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Dan, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Dan

Aurel Guest

I have already ask for it, because I have the same pb since i change my framework1.0 to 1.1 !

The answer:
    It is not a good way to use Request.Form["__EventTarget"] and eventArgument because Microsoft don't guaranteed that event reference will be always call like this.

Aurel

"Dan" <> a écrit dans le message de news: #...
    same..

just a blank string

Mythran

I am trying to use

Aurel, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Dan

Dan Guest

hmm, so I wonder how I can find out what control caused the postback in the pageload..?
    "Aurel" <> wrote in message news:...
    I have already ask for it, because I have the same pb since i change my framework1.0 to 1.1 !

The answer:
    It is not a good way to use Request.Form["__EventTarget"] and eventArgument because Microsoft don't guaranteed that event reference will be always call like this.

Aurel

same..

just a blank string

Mythran

I am trying to use

Dan, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Not all controls postback the same way. You got various controls that postback and support different methods. Its been a long time and i dont rem what works with what off the top of my head. You might want to experiement with different methods. Here are the various methods you need to try and use. One of them is got to work for you ;)

If Request.Params.Item("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

If Request.Params("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

If Request.Form("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

string postBackControl = Request.Params.Get("__EVENTTARGET");
    hmm, so I wonder how I can find out what control caused the postback in the pageload..?
    "Aurel" <> wrote in message news:...

The answer:

Aurel

same..

just a blank string

Mythran

I am trying to use

Alessandro Zifiglio, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Dan

Mythran Guest

And one other way...

If Request("btnSubmit") Is Nothing Then
    ' The btnSubmit button was NOT clicked.
    Else
    ' The btnSubmit button was clicked.
    End If

If using VB :)

Mythran

"Alessandro Zifiglio" <> wrote in message
    news:Lk4Bb.14016$...
    Not all controls postback the same way. You got various controls that postback
    and support different methods. Its been a long time and i dont rem what works
    with what off the top of my head. You might want to experiement with different
    methods. Here are the various methods you need to try and use. One of them is got
    to work for you ;)

If Request.Params.Item("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

If Request.Params("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

If Request.Form("btnSubmit") <> Nothing Then
    --Do something---
    Else
    --Do something else---
    End If

string postBackControl = Request.Params.Get("__EVENTTARGET");
    hmm, so I wonder how I can find out what control caused the postback in the
    pageload..?
    "Aurel" <> wrote in message
    I have already ask for it, because I have the same pb since i change my
    framework1.0 to 1.1 !

The answer:
    It is not a good way to use Request.Form["__EventTarget"] and eventArgument
    because Microsoft don't guaranteed that event reference will be always call like
    this.

Aurel

"Dan" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    #...
    same..

just a blank string
    "Mythran" <> wrote in message

Mythran

I am trying to use
    Request.Form("__EVENTTARGET") to get the name of the control that
    caused a post back. It keeps returning "".

I am not really sure why, this happens for all of my controls that
    invoke are invoking a post back.

I've never used this type of method before, but I need to get the
    name of the control doing the postback in the Form Load event, and cannot wait
    until the event of the target control that runs due to the postback.

Mythran, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Dan

bruce barker Guest

this only set for controls that you set autopostback on, it is blank for <asp:button> or <asp:imagebutton>, as they use the standard form post rules.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I am trying to use

bruce barker, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Dan

Dan Guest

ok, so how is it possible to acheieve similar results with an ASP:Button ?

Any ideas?
    "bruce barker" <> wrote in message news:#...
    this only set for controls that you set autopostback on, it is blank for <asp:button> or <asp:imagebutton>, as they use the standard form post rules.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

I am trying to use

Dan, Dec 9, 2003
  10. Dan

vMike Guest

If your _EVENTTARGET is "" then you would need iterate through your Form Keys maybe Request.Form.AllKeys(i) will work. I have never tried it. One of the keys has the control name and x and another has the controlname and y position I think.

I am trying to use

vMike, Dec 9, 2003
    1. Advertising