request: 'HOWTO migrate IIS6.0 web services to ASP 2.0'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by RedStain, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. RedStain

    RedStain Guest

    CONTENTS
    summary
    setup
    error messages
    compensation attempts
    comment

    SUMMARY
    I have an IIS6.0 server which has recently been upgraded to ASP 2.0 as a
    result of some of the patch requirements of some products I have installed
    on my server.
    These patches have installed a SQLEXPRESS upon which ASP 2.0 seems to have
    some connection to. ASP pages have now failed when the web site was switched
    from ASP 1.1 because it is constantly asking for 'authentication' on the IIS
    page and no credentials. I need two things:
    1) stop it from rejecting the authentication and get ASP to work.
    2) SQLEXPRESS database to migrate to SQL2005 server which is working in
    the same server.

    SETUP
    Win2003 Std R2
    Office 2003
    SQL 2005 std (db, client and books only)
    Sharepoint 2003 + ('STS SP2' patch, then 'Portal SP2' patch')
    Biztalk 2006 eval.
    Portal Website is created. Website is then switched to ASP 2.0. STSADM
    was run.

    ERROR MESSAGES
    When sharepoint website was running on ASP 1.1, everthing was ok. When
    ASP2.0 was added, The web site would request for authentication as it
    normally does and if you authenticated as administrator it should normall
    let you in. This time no credentials would work (administrators, service
    accounts) and it would continually request for authentication - failure with
    403 after third password failure.
    On checking the IIS 6.0 (properties of website), go to ASP tab, you will
    see the ASP version is 2.0 (when we changed it earlier). On checking the
    config (GLOBAL and other one). The connection string show something like
    this (I am recalling as I am rebuilding the box at the moment).
    LocalServer "data source=.\SQLEXPRESS; Security=SSPI;Files=|\Data
    Files\datafile.mdf;Option=ua"
    The line is not wrong - I just can't remember it properly, the pertinent
    point it that it wasn't altered.

    COMPENSATION ATTEMPTS
    After checking google, I am on unfamiliar ground but I have attempted
    two things:

    Attempt 1
    run aspnet_iisreg to create new asp database in MSSQLSERVER (the local
    install on SQL2005) called ASPNET
    LocalServer "data source=.\MSSQLSERVER; Security=SSPI;Initial
    Catalog=ASPNET;Option=ua"
    LocalServer "data source=.\MSSQLSERVER;
    Security=SSPI;database=ASPNET;Option=ua"
    (note MSSQLSERVER is the virtual server and ASPNET is the database I
    created via aspnet_iisreg)

    Attempt 2
    returned connection strings of BOTH ask configs back to normal.
    granted service accounts full access to SQLEXPRESS instance

    COMMENT
    Any pointers to documentation will be welcome. I am in process of
    rebuilding workstation again, so additional requests for more info might be
    sparse as I have blown the box away. I dare say I will get the problem
    again. I am going to try to install the machine and see whether the pre
    requesites can be configured not use an EXPRESS/MSDE instance - though I
    doubt it.

    RedStain, Jul 5, 2006

  2. "RedStain" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > LocalServer "data source=.\MSSQLSERVER; Security=SSPI;Initial
    > Catalog=ASPNET;Option=ua"
    > LocalServer "data source=.\MSSQLSERVER;
    > Security=SSPI;database=ASPNET;Option=ua"
    > (note MSSQLSERVER is the virtual server and ASPNET is the database I
    > created via aspnet_iisreg)
    >
    > Attempt 2
    > returned connection strings of BOTH ask configs back to normal.
    > granted service accounts full access to SQLEXPRESS instance
    >
    > COMMENT
    > Any pointers to documentation will be welcome. I am in process of
    > rebuilding workstation again, so additional requests for more info might
    > be
    > sparse as I have blown the box away. I dare say I will get the problem
    > again. I am going to try to install the machine and see whether the pre
    > requesites can be configured not use an EXPRESS/MSDE instance - though I

    How did you set authorization in the ASP.NET website (security tab on IIS)?
    What are the ACLs on NTFS, the directory where your ASPx pages are?
    What access rights are set on
    c:\windows\temp
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files for
    the 'network service' accouint?

    What does web.Config show in the <autorization> tags?

    Is this included?
    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <identity impersonate="true" />

    How did you configure SQLEXPRESS authentication? Did you allow specific
    groups/users to access it?

    Also check this
    PRB: "Access Denied" Error Message When Using ServerXMLHTTP to Access an
    Authenticated Site
    ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.v80.en/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.KB.v10.en/enu_kbmsxmlkb/msxmlkb/291008.htm

    Enable negotiate on IE6
    ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.v80.en/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.KB.v10.en/enu_kbie/ie/299838.htm

    Troubleshoot IIS negiotiate 326985

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/tkerbdel.mspx

    Enable negotiate on IIS
    ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.v80.en/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.KB.v10.en/enu_kbiis/iis/215383.htm

    Enable negotiate using XMLHttp
    ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.v80.en/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.KB.v10.en/enu_kbmsxmlkb/msxmlkb/314404.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326985/

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Jul 7, 2006