    I saw some program using "request("fieldname") " instead of
    "request.QueryString" to get the value from URL, what's the different ??

    thanks
    Ivan, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Ivan

    Catalyst Guest

    "Ivan" <> wrote in news:eCgF2sibEHA.252
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > hi,
    >
    > I saw some program using "request("fieldname") " instead of
    > "request.QueryString" to get the value from URL, what's the different ??
    >
    > thanks

    If you don't specify a collection to search, asp will look through the
    following in the shown order until a match is found.

    QueryString
    Form
    Cookies
    ClientCertificate
    ServerVariables

    So you could say that request("x") is the same as request.querystring("x")
    if there is a querystring.

    --
    Catalyst
    www.webforumz.com
    Catalyst, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Ivan

    Rob Collyer Guest

    Catalyst <> wrote in

    > "Ivan" <> wrote in news:eCgF2sibEHA.252
    > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I saw some program using "request("fieldname") " instead of
    >> "request.QueryString" to get the value from URL, what's the different
    >> ??
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > If you don't specify a collection to search, asp will look through the
    > following in the shown order until a match is found.
    >
    > QueryString
    > Form
    > Cookies
    > ClientCertificate
    > ServerVariables
    >
    > So you could say that request("x") is the same as
    > request.querystring("x") if there is a querystring.

    I must point out to all that request("x") should be avoided as it is very
    slow perfomance wise compared to specifying the invididual collection
    (eg, form, querystring, servervariables, cookie)

    --
    Robert Collyer
    Rob Collyer, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Ivan

    Catalyst Guest

    Rob Collyer <> wrote in

    > Catalyst <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Ivan" <> wrote in news:eCgF2sibEHA.252
    >> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> I saw some program using "request("fieldname") " instead of
    >>> "request.QueryString" to get the value from URL, what's the
    >>> different ??
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >> If you don't specify a collection to search, asp will look through
    >> the following in the shown order until a match is found.
    >>
    >> QueryString
    >> Form
    >> Cookies
    >> ClientCertificate
    >> ServerVariables
    >>
    >> So you could say that request("x") is the same as
    >> request.querystring("x") if there is a querystring.
    >>

    > I must point out to all that request("x") should be avoided as it is
    > very slow perfomance wise compared to specifying the invididual
    > collection (eg, form, querystring, servervariables, cookie)

    Yeah, and you don't really know what you're getting.

    Catalyst, Jul 20, 2004
  5. http://www.aspfaq.com/2111

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/