Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") Reports web server login not client

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jeff Cochran, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Jeff Cochran

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    First time I've seen this and I'm not even sure where to look for the
    answer. An ASP page with only this code:

    <% Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") %>

    On most systems returns the domain\userID for the user on the
    workstation, as expected. But I have one workstation (at least) where
    this returns the domain\ID of whatever account is logged into the web
    server.

    This is an intranet and an AD domain but I don't think that matters.
    It's also machine specific, the same user logged in at another system
    works fine. Nothing else strange on the system that I know of, XP,
    SP2, current on critical updates, no firewall enabled.

    Any suggestions?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 6, 2006

  2. That's odd, Jeff. What comes up when no one is logged on to the server?
    What does Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") return? Does this person
    have any sort of paranoia software installed, like Zone Alarm or anything?

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 6, 2006

  3. Jeff Cochran

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:13:46 -0500, "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my first name
    at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote:

    >That's odd, Jeff. What comes up when no one is logged on to the server?
    >What does Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") return? Does this person
    >have any sort of paranoia software installed, like Zone Alarm or anything?

    AUTH_USER has the same results. Digest authentication doesn't chnage
    this either. No paranoia software, user is local admin. I now have
    found a second system that behaves this way. Still no known reason.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 9, 2006