    --
    Thanks,

    Tim
    TimG, Aug 27, 2007

  2. "TimG" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a web service that performs a long running task (typically 10-20
    > minutes) via an async call. When I run the web service either within the
    > debugger or with Debug=True it works as expected. When I run it with
    > Debug=False it gets a HttpException, Request timed out after 5 minutes.
    >
    > I have tried upping the timeout to 15 minutes (even though MSDN docs say
    > timeout is for synchronous calls) and the error still happens after 5
    > minutes.
    >
    > Any thoughts or hints on what is happening.

    Which request timed out? A request from a client application? If so, has the
    client changed, or is it only the server that has changed, from debug to
    non-debug modes?
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 27, 2007

  3. TimG

    TimG Guest

    Re: Request timed out error only when running release mode not deb

    I don't have the stack trace right now so this is from memory. The timeout
    was propagated as a soapexception to the client in something like
    GetAsyncResponse (client should be waiting for the server to finish the async
    method). The server was not running in either debug mode or within a
    debugger, the client was running within the visual studio debugger. There
    was no stack trace information supplied with the soapexception, only "Request
    timed out".
    --
    Thanks,

    Tim

    TimG, Aug 28, 2007
  4. Re: Request timed out error only when running release mode not deb

    Hi Tim,

    For ASP.NET webservice, when you call it from .net client(through
    autogenerated proxy class) and the service method have long-run task to
    run, you may get timeout error due to the following two causes:

    ** The ASP.NET runtime has a "executionTime" limitation, by default it is
    set to 110 seconds. And this timeout only take effect when running in
    release mode.

    #httpRuntime Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641.aspx

    ** The .NET webservcie's client proxy class (derived from WebClient

    #WebClientProtocol.Timeout Property
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.services.protocols.webcl
    ientprotocol.timeout(VS.71).aspx

    For your scenario, the error message is more likely due to the server-side
    "executionTimeout" setting. You can try enlarge the "executionTimeout"
    attribute in the <httpRuntime> element in web.config file to see whether it
    helps.

    If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?VGltRw==?= <>

    <#>

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 28, 2007
  5. TimG

    TimG Guest

    Re: Request timed out error only when running release mode not deb

    Thanks, updating ExecutionTimeout solved my problem.

    One more question, is there a way to set this within code so that the
    timeout can be very long (up to a day) for a specific call?

    --
    Thanks,

    Tim

    TimG, Aug 28, 2007
  6. Re: Request timed out error only when running release mode not deb

    Thanks for your reply Tim,

    For the <httpRuntime> setting, I'm afraid it must be configured statically
    and do not allow runtime/programmatically configuring. However, ASP.NET
    web application support a hierarchial configuration model so that you can
    specify customized and particular settings(those setting allow configured
    in sub directories) for a sub directory(or asmx, aspx page). You can have
    a look at the following reference:

    #location Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b6x6shw7.aspx

    #How to: Configure Specific Directories Using Location Settings
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178692(VS.80).aspx

    thus, for your scenario, if possible, you can gather all those webmethods
    that will need long-run execution into a single webservice(asmx endpoint)
    and put it in a particular sub folder and specify a larege
    "executionTimeout" setting for that particular sub dir. How do you think?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    >Thanks, updating ExecutionTimeout solved my problem.
    >
    >One more question, is there a way to set this within code so that the
    >timeout can be very long (up to a day) for a specific call?
    >
    >--
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Tim
    >

    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Tim,
    >>
    >> For ASP.NET webservice, when you call it from .net client(through
    >> autogenerated proxy class) and the service method have long-run task to
    >> run, you may get timeout error due to the following two causes:
    >>
    >> ** The ASP.NET runtime has a "executionTime" limitation, by default it

    is
    >> set to 110 seconds. And this timeout only take effect when running in
    >> release mode.
    >>
    >> #httpRuntime Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
    >> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641.aspx
    >>

    >> ** The .NET webservcie's client proxy class (derived from WebClient
    >>
    >> #WebClientProtocol.Timeout Property

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.services.protocols.webcl
    >> ientprotocol.timeout(VS.71).aspx
    >>
    >> For your scenario, the error message is more likely due to the

    server-side
    >> "executionTimeout" setting. You can try enlarge the "executionTimeout"
    >> attribute in the <httpRuntime> element in web.config file to see whether

    it
    >> helps.
    >>
    >> If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post here.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow
    >> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

    the
    >> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

    situations
    >> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

    best
    >> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

    contacting
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 29, 2007
  7. Re: Request timed out error only when running release mode not deb

    Hi Tim,

    Any further question on this? If so, please feel free to let me know.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 3, 2007