Requesting feedback on Gibberish::Simple, a tiny Ruby 1.9localization lib

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. Hi folks,

    While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
    there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
    box on Ruby 1.9.
    The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
    minimal, though.

    I really liked the general idea behind Gibberish, since it has a nice
    Ruby interface and is very easy to configure. But it was a Rails
    plugin, and needed some small modifications to work standalone.
    I also wasn't wild about using String#[] to do translation tagging, as
    it seemed it'd be just as easy to get by without modifying core. I
    did some other cleanup under the hood and removed the dependency on
    ActiveSupport, and put up Gibberish::Simple:

    http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/

    I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
    official release and further maintenance? I would be fine with just
    using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
    I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

    == More Details ==

    This library keeps most of the functionality Gibberish offers. In
    most cases, you just need to switch:

    "My String"[:tag, *args]

    to look like this:

    T("My String", :tag, *args)

    After including the Gibberish::Simple module. Also, you replace any
    call on Gibberish with a call to Gibberish::Simple. Some minor
    features were removed, but otherwise it's mostly the same library.

    If you're curious of what it looks like in a code sample, I coded up a
    tiny Sinatra app that implements the rock paper scissors game:
    http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/tree/223100a156432420400762805330ebe7e3aa346a/examples/rps

    You will need Sinatra 0.9.1 (from Github) and Ruby 1.9.1 to run this code.

    Please let me know what you think.

    -greg
    Gregory Brown, Mar 2, 2009

  2. On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Gregory Brown
    <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
    > there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
    > box on Ruby 1.9.
    > The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
    > minimal, though.

    Whoops, always forget the links :-/

    [0] http://rubybestpractices.com
    [1] http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext.html?ruby-gettext
    [2] http://github.com/defunkt/gibberish/tree/master
    Gregory Brown, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Hi Gregory,

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
    > there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
    > box on Ruby 1.9.
    > The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
    > minimal, though.

    > http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/
    >
    > I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
    > official release and further maintenance? I would be fine with just
    > using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
    > I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

    I just need such a library at the moment.

    > Please let me know what you think.

    I'll try it and will report feedbacks on this thread.

    Cheers.

    Chauk-Mean.
    Chauk-Mean Proum, Mar 2, 2009
  4. Hi (again) Gregory,

    > Gregory Brown wrote:
    >I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
    >official release and further maintenance? I would be fine with just
    >using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
    >I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

    This is exactly what I need :
    - not intrusive regarding the core classes
    - simple (no dependency other than the standard yaml library)
    - ruby-1.9 support

    It is just perfect for me.

    Go on for an official release and maintenance.
    Thanks for sharing anyway.

    Cheers.

    Chauk-Mean.
    Chauk-Mean Proum, Mar 2, 2009