Requests from IE shortcut handled sequentially

Alex

Hello, All.

I encouraged some strange behaviour of either IIS, ASP.NET, IE or donn't
know what...

I have a simple wait.aspx page

object o = new object();
lock(o)
{
Response.Write("<BR>" + DateTime.Now);
System.Threading.Monitor.Wait(o, 5000);
Response.Write("<BR>" + DateTime.Now);

It is just writing the start time, wait for 5 seconds, and write end time.

Now I create shortcut for the page http://localhost/asp.net/wait/wait.aspx
on my desktop and click it twice to open 2 IE windows. After the first time
they were opened, I do such test:
1) Click refresh on the page # 1
2) Quickly click refresh on the page # 2
3) Waiting

I see such results:

Page #1
14.06.2006 17:42:10
14.06.2006 17:42:15

Page # 2
14.06.2006 17:42:15
14.06.2006 17:42:20

So I see that my requests were handled sequentially (or were sent by IE
seqentially).

If I open 2 totally separate IE, and enter in both and do the same test, I
see different results:

Page #1
14.06.2006 17:52:44
14.06.2006 17:52:49

Page # 2
14.06.2006 17:52:45
14.06.2006 17:52:50

I.e. requests handled in parallel.

The same behaviour is for ASP (not ASP.NET). But for PHP requests handled in
parallel inspite of the way to open IE.

Also tested with Firefox. Requests ALWAYS handled sequentially. So I am
lost, what is the problem, and where the problem (in client or on server).

Hope for your help !!! :)

Thanks!
- Alex.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

there are two issues to look for.

1) if you are using sessions, then requests are serialized by session
ticket. starting the browser from a shortcut starts a new session, but
file->new window starts a second browser instance with the same ticket.

2) IE limits you to 2 concurrent connections (unless a config change is
made) to the same server. firefox allows 8 per sever by default.

you are probably seeing #1

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Alex

Thank you, Bruce!

It was the issue #1, as you said. It became ovident after I have specified
cookieless="true" in web.config.

-Alex.