Require specific behaviour of Failover recovery in server clusters

Megha Vishwanath

We are running a Servlet-JSP based Server for a Client-Server application
currently using Apache-Tomcat.

Problem Definition-
Tomcat, inherently providing us with load balanced clustering, does not
allow complete loading of the first instance of a server in the cluster.

We need any single instance of a server in a clustered environment to reach
it's complete load before we switch to another instance. The second
instance of the server should only come in to use during failover .

Can you lead us to some links on any kind of documentation or downloads
on apllication servers (Tomcat/JBoss/WebLogic/others) that will help us
achieve this functionality ?

-Megha Vishwanath

Clemens Martin

Megha Vishwanath said:
We are running a Servlet-JSP based Server for a Client-Server application
currently using Apache-Tomcat.

Problem Definition-
Tomcat, inherently providing us with load balanced clustering, does not
allow complete loading of the first instance of a server in the cluster.

We need any single instance of a server in a clustered environment to reach
it's complete load before we switch to another instance. The second
instance of the server should only come in to use during failover .

Can you lead us to some links on any kind of documentation or downloads
on apllication servers (Tomcat/JBoss/WebLogic/others) that will help us
achieve this functionality ?

Try using Apache web-server with mod_jk (or mod_jk2) as load-balancer in
front of your Tomcat cluster.
In the mod_jk(2) configuration you can specify a load-factor (would be 99%
or something like that for your first Tomcat instance).
Dont forget to set the jvmRoute correctly in Tomcat/mod_jk configuration to
have sticky http sessions.

Documentation: http://jakarta.apache.org and then the mod_jk(2) things
-Megha Vishwanath

Clemens Martin