Required field validator problem

SAL

Okay, understanding the problem a little better now.
I have a gridview that is enabled for editing.
I want users to be able to add data to the gridview also so I turn the
fields into Templates and have the gridview show the footer. To the footer
templates I add textboxes to the fields that I want the user to be able to
input data and add a button that causes the insert to take place. I also add
RequiredFieldValidators to the fields that are required in the footer.
Now, the editing works fine until I add the RequiredFieldValidators. After I
do that, the update link button, that the smart tag automatically adds, no
longer works and in fact, the RequiredFieldValidators show up when the
Update button is clicked and no update takes place.

How can I work around this issue, that is, how can I have the
requiredFieldValidators in the footer and also have the Update functionality
work to boot?

I'm sure it's obvious but I'm not that versed at ASP.NET.