Required field validator problem

Do

Hi,

Has anybody run into problems with Page.IsValid?
My errors show up when the fields aren't filled correctly, but my
processing continues even if the page is invalid.

I leave name and description blank and I do get the error messages. But
the code still continues to run the addfolder method from my class.

Is there something wrong with this?

Here's the code:

Dim strName As String

Dim strDescription As String

Dim intParent As Integer

strName = txtName.Text

strDescription = txtDescription.Text

intParent = lstParents.SelectedValue

Response.Write(strName)

Response.Write(strDescription)

Response.Write(intParent)

If Page.IsValid Then

Try

Dim objFolder As New folder

If CBool(objFolder.addfolder(strName, strDescription, intParent)) Then

Response.Write("Inserted new folder")

Else

Response.Write("Problem with folder insertion")

End If

objFolder = Nothing

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.Message)

End Try

End If

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi,

For server-side code, you need to call Page.Validate() before you test
Page.IsValid.

For more information, see ASP.NET Validation in Depth
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html
/aspplusvalid.asp

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

--------------------

Guest

Hi:

So what's the difference between Page.IsValid and Page.Validate and the
different
scenarios for their use?

So if I only use Page.IsValid, this will only do client-side validation?
If Page.IsValid does not return true, doesn't the nested code not process?
Mine seems like it processes.

Do

"Mike Moore [MSFT]" said:
Hi,

For server-side code, you need to call Page.Validate() before you test
Page.IsValid.

For more information, see ASP.NET Validation in Depth
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html
/aspplusvalid.asp

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

steps listed to improve your computer's security.

--------------------
From: "Do" <[email protected]>
Subject: Required field validator problem
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:24:20 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Page.Validate calls the method the runs your validation code. Page.IsValid
tests the results of the validation. I suspect that you are submitting the
form with a control that does not cause validation. In this case, you must
call Page.Validate explicitly in your code. Then you can test the value of
Page.IsValid.

Subject: Re: Required field validator problem