Required Field Validator

Brent Burkart

I have a page with a couple of Required Field Validators. However, I have a
button which displays a popup with some information. I want this button to
be able to work without having the Required Field Validators fire. I can't
figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of validating the info
rather than using field validators?

Any help is appreciated?

Thanks,
Brent

Suresh

Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which opens
the window to "False".

Brent Burkart

When I set "CausesValidation" to true, it takes on the action of my form
submit button. I have it wired to open up a popup rather than continueing
to process. But it acts like my other button.

Thanks for your help.

Brent Burkart

I have found the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems as if
all my buttons are submitting my form rather than performing the events they
are wired up to do. Does anyone know why this might be possible?

Thanks

Scott M.

Are we talking about Web Form buttons? If so, then they must submit the
form to the server and then create a new instance of the page at the server
before they can execute their server-side events.

The page class's lifecycle looks like this:

Non PostBack:

New
Init
Load
SaveViewState
Unload

PostBack:

New
Init
LoadViewState
Load
User's Control Events
SaveViewState
Unload

Suresh

Sorry this message had moved to the 2nd page on the web
message board so the late reply.

But Scott is right. If all you want this button to do is
to open up a popup window then you are better off using a
client side html input type button.