Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sean, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    I have just started learning html, webdesign etc at TAFE.

    I would like to know what software and utilities to use.

    Freeware & shareware (preferable freeware)

    HTML Validators.
    Java script editors.
    Notepad replacements.
    XML Editors.
    PDF creation (including locking documents)
    Text only browser for Windows XP.
    Other good browsers.
    Tutorials, useful websites with resources,
    Other useful software.

    Regards

    Sean

    Sean, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Sean

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html,Javascript etc

    Sean wrote:
    > Java script editors.
    > Notepad replacements.
    > XML Editors.

    I've been using PsPad with good results. Handles many languages.

    Paul Furman, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html,Javascript etc

    http://validator.w3.org/

    > Java script editors.
    > Notepad replacements.

    KWrite.

    > Text only browser for Windows XP.

    Lynx.

    > Other good browsers.

    Mozilla, Opera, IE/Mac, Konqueror or Safari, Amaya.

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Sean wrote:

    > HTML Validators.

    Tidy? Otherwise just use the w3.org validator online.

    > Java script editors.
    > Notepad replacements.
    > XML Editors.

    All the above: nedit.

    > PDF creation (including locking documents)

    OpenOffice.org or Ghostscript.

    > Text only browser for Windows XP.

    Lynx.

    > Other good browsers.

    Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, Netscape 4.

    > Tutorials, useful websites with resources,
    > Other useful software.

    Download and install Opera and then visit:
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=10

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 14, 2004
  5. Sean

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >> HTML Validators.

    >Tidy?

    Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Spartanicus wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >
    >>> HTML Validators.

    >>Tidy?

    > Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

    "tidy -e" mainly just sticks to validation.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Sean

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >>>Tidy?

    >> Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

    >"tidy -e" mainly just sticks to validation.

    It's a linter, *not* a validator (unless something radically changed
    since the last time I looked at it ). And the last time I checked tidy
    insisted on removing valid code that it didn't like with no option to
    prevent that from happening.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Sean

    John Smith Guest

    > HTML Validators.
    > Notepad replacements.

    CSE HTML Validator allows you to edit and check your HTML and the PRO
    version can also check links
    http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

    John Smith, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Sean