Required permissions cannot be acquired.

Andy Sutorius via DotNetMonster.com

After installing Sharepoint Portal Services I am no longer able to see my
website. When I try I get Required permissions cannot be acquired. I have
tried to put the Trust key in the web.config but that made things worse as
the SPS Website became the dominant website and reported an error trying to
connect to the database. Can you assist?

John Timney \( MVP \)

Now I'm digging deep here, and you would get a better response from the
sharepoint forums.

When you install SPS it takes control of your webserver, and it is now the
root web server and quite literally intercepts all requests. As far as it
is concerned your website doesn't exist. Somewhere in the config settings
of the admin portion of the SPS website there is an exclude option where you
can list your application and tell it to ignore it, effectively bypassing
the SPS control mechanism.

Sorry I cant be clearer, I dont have an SPS install near me!

skibum019

Go to SharePoint Central Administration
Click on "Configure Virtual Server Settings"
Click on the website (most likely "Default Web Site")
Under Virtual Server Management, click on "Define managed paths"
Under Add a New Path, enter the virtual name for your website, select
the Type of Excluded Path and click "OK"
This will add your website to an excluded path the SPS will not manage.

Regards

andy6 via DotNetMonster.com

thanks for your reply
Go to SharePoint Central Administration
Click on "Configure Virtual Server Settings"
Click on the website (most likely "Default Web Site")
Under Virtual Server Management, click on "Define managed paths"
Under Add a New Path, enter the virtual name for your website, select
the Type of Excluded Path and click "OK"
This will add your website to an excluded path the SPS will not manage.

Regards
Now I'm digging deep here, and you would get a better response from the
sharepoint forums.
[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]