    res://C:\test.dll/Invalid?T1=&T2=&B1=Submit

    I get a page not found error.

    Does anyone know why this is and how I can get around it?

    Nik Coughin, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:%OKLb.7280$>
    Nik Coughin said:

    > I have some html and xml/xsl where all of the pages, images etc. are being
    > loaded from a .dll file using the res:// protocol. I am using Internet
    > Explorer 6.0.

    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.*
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/predefined/res.asp

    --
    brucie

    brucie, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    rf Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I have some html and xml/xsl where all of the pages, images etc. are being
    > loaded from a .dll file using the res:// protocol. I am using Internet
    > Explorer 6.0. Everything works fine, except I don't seem to be able to
    > submit a form to another page within the dll. I can link to other pages

    in
    > the dll, just not submit to them.

    A form assumes a server at "the other end".

    A .dll is not a server.

    > This works:
    > res://C:\test.dll/Invalid

    Yep.

    > This doesn't:
    > res://C:\test.dll/Invalid?T1=&T2=&B1=Submit
    > I get a page not found error.

    Yep. There is no such resourse as "Invalid?T1=&T2=&B1=Submit" in your .dll.

    > Does anyone know why this is and how I can get around it?

    No. There is no way around this. It is the same as if you were to use the
    file: protocol. No HTTP server, no forms.

    What exactly did you expect to happen?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Doesn't need an http server becuase I am parsing the GET information with
    Javascript. I'm using <form method="GET" action="test.html"> in input.html
    and test.html uses Javascript to read the submitted values. Not so hard,
    and it works fine with the file:// protocol. So there must be another
    reason why it doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

    Nik Coughin, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Basically because it doesn't allow for the passing of variables at the end
    of the string, ie the ? symbol and following characters are not passed when
    using the res protocol. At first I thought that you couldn't pass anything
    other than the name of the resource, but anchors work fine, ie
    res://test.dll/test#test3.

    Nik Coughin, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Nik Coughin

    rf Guest

    [top posting corrected]

    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Doesn't need an http server becuase I am parsing the GET information

    with
    > > Javascript. I'm using <form method="GET" action="test.html"> in

    > input.html
    > > and test.html uses Javascript to read the submitted values. Not so

    hard,
    > > and it works fine with the file:// protocol. So there must be another
    > > reason why it doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

    That's different then.

    > Basically because it doesn't allow for the passing of variables at the end
    > of the string, ie the ? symbol and following characters are not passed

    when
    > using the res protocol. At first I thought that you couldn't pass

    anything
    > other than the name of the resource,

    Er, I don't think this is the problem.

    When you use file:// or res:// your request is farmed out to the operating
    system. The OS is quite particular about what can and can not be in a file
    name and it is also quite literal. Give it a resource name of
    "Invalid?T1=&T2=&B1=Submit" and that is exactly what it will search for.
    This resource is, of course, not present in your .exe file.

    The pulling apart of the above URL into a *page* called Invalid and some
    *parameters* is done by an HTTP server. The file system does not know about
    such things.

    > but anchors work fine, ie
    > res://test.dll/test#test3.

    The reasson this works is that the browser is stripping off the #test3 bit
    in anticipation of an anchor with that name appearing when it fires off
    res://test.dll/test. The #test3 is never sent to the server/file system.

    AFAIK there is no solution to your problem, except perhaps to stuff the
    parameters into a cookie that the next page can read.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    > The reasson this works is that the browser is stripping off the #test3 bit
    > in anticipation of an anchor with that name appearing when it fires off
    > res://test.dll/test. The #test3 is never sent to the server/file system.
    >
    > AFAIK there is no solution to your problem, except perhaps to stuff the
    > parameters into a cookie that the next page can read.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Bah. Ah well, it's not critical anyway. Thanks for your help!

    Nik Coughin, Jan 12, 2004