RES: RES: Bare-bones Ruby

Leiradella, Andre V Matos Da Cunha

There are a number of tutorials about for extending and embedding Ruby,
but you might try taking a look at the slides I wrote for a
presentation I gave to our local Perl Mongers meeting earlier this
year:

http://rcoder.net/talks/pm_sep04/c_api/index.html

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm looking at four script
languages to use in the next release of FullMoon: Ruby, Ferite, Pike and
ElastiC. It's hard to say which one fits my project best, but there are
already some points that will help me in my quest, mainly related to be
*not* having extensions.

Talking about extensions, one thing that I love in Lua is the *lack* of
extensions in the language. The interpreter is very small, and I can add any
extension I need by downloading it and linking it against my application
(and calling a function to register the extension of course). It doesn't
even have a extension manager! One that will be able to load dynamic modules
is being written as an extension itself, but that too will be optional, I
will be able to embed Lua in an application without the extension manager.

Of course Lua fits in a different niche and I'm not saying that language A
is better than language B, I'm just sad I can't find something along the
lines of Lua but with OO :-(

Regards,

Andre de Leiradella

Stefan Schmiedl

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm looking at four script
languages to use in the next release of FullMoon: Ruby, Ferite, Pike and
ElastiC. It's hard to say which one fits my project best, but there are
already some points that will help me in my quest, mainly related to be
*not* having extensions.

Just to confuse you some more, I'll throw a link to Io into the pot:
http://www.iolanguage.com/

s.