RES: RES: Bare-bones Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Leiradella, Andre V Matos Da Cunha, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. >There are a number of tutorials about for extending and embedding Ruby,
    >but you might try taking a look at the slides I wrote for a
    >presentation I gave to our local Perl Mongers meeting earlier this
    >year:
    >
    >http://rcoder.net/talks/pm_sep04/c_api/index.html

    Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm looking at four script
    languages to use in the next release of FullMoon: Ruby, Ferite, Pike and
    ElastiC. It's hard to say which one fits my project best, but there are
    already some points that will help me in my quest, mainly related to be
    *not* having extensions.

    Talking about extensions, one thing that I love in Lua is the *lack* of
    extensions in the language. The interpreter is very small, and I can add any
    extension I need by downloading it and linking it against my application
    (and calling a function to register the extension of course). It doesn't
    even have a extension manager! One that will be able to load dynamic modules
    is being written as an extension itself, but that too will be optional, I
    will be able to embed Lua in an application without the extension manager.

    Of course Lua fits in a different niche and I'm not saying that language A
    is better than language B, I'm just sad I can't find something along the
    lines of Lua but with OO :-(

    Regards,

    Andre de Leiradella
    Leiradella, Andre V Matos Da Cunha, Dec 29, 2004

  2. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:30:33 +0900,
    Leiradella, Andre V Matos Da Cunha <> wrote:
    > Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm looking at four script
    > languages to use in the next release of FullMoon: Ruby, Ferite, Pike and
    > ElastiC. It's hard to say which one fits my project best, but there are
    > already some points that will help me in my quest, mainly related to be
    > *not* having extensions.

    Just to confuse you some more, I'll throw a link to Io into the pot:
    http://www.iolanguage.com/

    s.
    Stefan Schmiedl, Dec 29, 2004