Reseach paper on Ruby. Need references.

Suneel Suneel

Hi,

I'm doing masters in computer science. I'm required to submit a research
paper on a topic of my interest. I'm interested in learning ruby and
wanted to do research on Ruby covering topics like "features of Ruby,
comparision with other languages, pros and cons, object oriented
programing, Ruby on rails etc". The problem is I need to find at least
10 papers on ruby that have been published in technical journals, white
papers from reputed laboratories and universities. I did google but
couldn't find much that I can mention as my references. I found around 5
papers in ACM digital library. I need 5 more. Please help.

Thanks
Suneel

Rick DeNatale

I'm doing masters in computer science. I'm required to submit a research
paper on a topic of my interest. I'm interested in learning ruby and
wanted to do research on Ruby covering topics like "features of Ruby,
comparision with other languages, pros and cons, object oriented
programing, Ruby on rails etc". The problem is I need to find at least
10 papers on ruby that have been published in technical journals, white
papers from reputed laboratories and universities. I did google but
couldn't find much that I can mention as my references. I found around 5
papers in ACM digital library. I need 5 more. Please help.
Hmm, this looks like it might be a chicken-and-egg problem. Ruby doesn't
seem to have attracted the academics as much as Java/Smalltalk/C++... then
you are having trouble getting permission to do an academic paper because
there isn't enough existing academic literature.

I did a google search on oopsla ruby and hit things like an ad for Rails
hosting by engine yard on a site about the upcoming OOPSLA 08, and articles
where ruby was part of an author's name, same kind of thing for sigplan ruby

Maybe there are some Japanese academic works?

Do your references really all have to be directly about Ruby or can you fill
out the bibliography with some more general programming languages,
object-orientation etc. or the languages you are comparing to Ruby?

Lloyd Linklater

Suneel said:
Hi,

I'm doing masters in computer science. I'm required to submit a research
paper on a topic of my interest. I'm interested in learning ruby and
wanted to do research on Ruby covering topics like "features of Ruby,
comparision with other languages, pros and cons, object oriented
programing, Ruby on rails etc". The problem is I need to find at least
10 papers on ruby that have been published in technical journals, white
papers from reputed laboratories and universities. I did google but
couldn't find much that I can mention as my references. I found around 5
papers in ACM digital library. I need 5 more. Please help.

Thanks
Suneel

When I ran the search I got lots of papers back. Perhaps it is the
"published in technical journals" constraints that is the limiting
factor. That may also preclude books, though citing the literature is
usually accepted in academia, at least when *I* was in school, though we
were still carving on stone tablets back then, but I digress.

Normally I would just think that this was your work to do and leave you
to it, but you have caught me on a good day so here are some bits that
may be of assistance:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/s...te=dW&searchScope=dW&query=ruby&Search=Search
http://hedley.new.newsvine.com/_news/2006/01/11/56217-hedleys-technical-journal
http://www.pcmag.com/search_results/0,1208,,00.asp?qry=ruby+programming&site=3
http://www.ddj.com/TechSearch/searc...2CYQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?queryText=ruby&x=0&y=0

also of interest:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000140
http://www.programmingx.com/page2/category/languages/ruby/articles.html

ara.t.howard

Hi,

I'm doing masters in computer science. I'm required to submit a
research
paper on a topic of my interest. I'm interested in learning ruby and
wanted to do research on Ruby covering topics like "features of Ruby,
comparision with other languages, pros and cons, object oriented
programing, Ruby on rails etc". The problem is I need to find at least
10 papers on ruby that have been published in technical journals,
white
papers from reputed laboratories and universities. I did google but
couldn't find much that I can mention as my references. I found
around 5
papers in ACM digital library. I need 5 more. Please help.

Thanks
Suneel

not a great one, but since you are grasping...

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/publications/forum/feb2003/2_03_MMeta.html

dunno if you could slide linux journal by as a technical one but

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7922

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Suneel Suneel

Thank you everyone for taking time to search and reply. The instructor
is kind of adamant on citing professional references. As a result I've
changed my topic to something I can find a lot of references. I'm also
hardcore java developer planning to learn Ruby as the market is
saturated with java developers.

Dave Thomas

Thank you everyone for taking time to search and reply. The instructor
is kind of adamant on citing professional references. As a result I've
changed my topic to something I can find a lot of references. I'm also
hardcore java developer planning to learn Ruby as the market is
saturated with java developers.

You might ask your instructor how the first 10 papers got published if
everyone had to cite at least 10 prior references.....

Dave

Xeno Campanoli

Dave said:
You might ask your instructor how the first 10 papers got published if
everyone had to cite at least 10 prior references.....

I think the idea is that it is very easy these days to steal papers and automate
what is essentially a composite stolen paper. At least this way the teach can
get an idea the kid actually did the work honestly. After all, in school, you
still haven't completely got out of the "get somewhere" crowd and into the "I'm
an engineer because I actually like doing that" crowd yet. We older fogies
don't always see that context.

xc

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

You might ask your instructor how the first 10 papers got published if
everyone had to cite at least 10 prior references.....

Then again, you might try not being snotty to someone who controls what
grade you get. :)
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
ruby-perspectives.blogspot.com

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." --
Alfréd Rényi via Paul Erdős

Gregory Brown

Then again, you might try not being snotty to someone who controls what
grade you get. :)

Oh, I don't know. If someone doesn't make these obvious statements
now and again, the sad state of academia often being an echo chamber
will never be improved.

-greg

Martin DeMello

Oh, I don't know. If someone doesn't make these obvious statements
now and again, the sad state of academia often being an echo chamber
will never be improved.

Well, there's all the difference between a research paper and a survey
paper (which is what the OP seems to be doing). It's reasonable to
expect an existing body of papers for the latter.

martin

Marcelo

The problem is I need to find at least 10 papers on ruby that have
been published in technical journals, white papers from reputed
laboratories and universities. I did google but couldn't find much
that I can mention as my references. I found around 5 papers in ACM
digital library. I need 5 more. Please help.

Did you try Google Scholar? Without you mentioning the five papers you
already found, it's hard to say if we are hitting the same stuff.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...uage&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&scoring=r&as_ylo=2003

Marcelo