    Can I do it with an IDE?

    Thanks,
    Cut
    Cut, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Cut wrote:
    > I'd like to create a Java program that accepts and decodes H.264
    > streams. My current understanding is that support for this codec,
    > especially in Java, is nonexistent.

    Sun's only media offering is JMF, which is effectively
    (if not actually) abandoned. The list of media formats
    codecs supported is here..
    <http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html>

    >.. I'm aware of a low-level C/ASM API
    > that decodes H.264 fast.
    >
    > Is it possible to use Java to interface with a low-level C/ASM API?

    JNI should connect you with any native code, so long
    as the right 'hooks' exist (JNI is not my area).

    Is that low-level stuff developed for each platform, or
    are you looking to support only specific OS's?

    > Can I do it with an IDE?

    Ummm... You mean write the code?

    It is possible to write this code using an IDE.
    It is most likely also possible to launch/debug
    this code using an IDE. Whether *you* can do
    it using *your* IDE, is a matter between you
    and your IDE. ;-)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Cut