    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, May 22, 2006

  2. Nathan,

    A HTML control is not an ASPNET control. If it had extentions to handle it
    in a better way, than it would be an ASPNET control.

    Therefore handling an HTML control is as it could be done forever in HTML.
    In my opinion is than the way to search for it on Google, but than not in
    relation to DotNet but just as HTML control.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], May 22, 2006

  3. Hi,
    What you mean by reseting ?? is it means that you need to clear the value
    from the control after the postback ??
    --
    Deepson Thomas

    Deepson Thomas, May 22, 2006
  4. I think that there is an important lesson you should learn about how ASP.NET
    handles controls. Any time you add runat="server" and an ID attribute to a
    control, whether it is an html control or an ASP.NET webcontrol or any other
    kind of control, if it is declared ASP.NET will treat it as an object (not
    necessarily with extensions, it might just be an HtmlGenericControl). But
    ASP.NET does have a class for the input type="file" control, which is
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputFile One of the properties of this
    control is Value. The Value property is not labeled as ReadOnly, but when
    ASP.NET runs into the code where I assign a value to it while my Application
    is running, it gives me an error saying I cannot change the Value property.
    If I remember correctly, the same thing happens in JavaScript (although it's
    been a while since I tried that). I may not have explained every detail with
    textbook clarity here, but the important thing is that from ASP.NET's view
    in my code, it is an ASP.NET control.

    Nathan Sokalski, May 22, 2006
  5. Yes, if the control continues to display the file path after I upload it,
    many users will be inclined to think the upload was unsuccessful (even
    though they will be able to see it in a list on the page). But I also want
    it to be cleared so that the validator control I use to check that they
    selected a file is useful.

    Nathan Sokalski, May 22, 2006
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    cindy Guest

    Re: Resetting the value of a System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputF

    I am also having difficultly with the htmlinput file control I have a script
    to validate the entry if the validation fails I need to return to the form
    with htmlinputfile value still selected in the input box. The validation is
    actually failing because of the file description that is entered into another
    field on the form.

    I AM SORRY COR to post in this thread but MS does use the HTMLINPUTFILE in
    documentation and I have not had luck in GOOGLE.

    Do you think you could tell us where to post this question instead of here?
    --
    cindy

    cindy, May 23, 2006
  7. Re: Resetting the value of a System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputF

    Cindy,

    This is for me always the first start to problems with HTML controls. And
    this special with the input file one.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...author/dhtml/reference/objects/input_file.asp

    This can be handled with javascript.

    In VB.Net the javascript can be used with register.......... Be aware that
    this have different implementations in version 1.x and 2.0

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], May 23, 2006
  8. Nathan Sokalski

    cindy Guest

    Re: Resetting the value of a System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputF

    I am new to c# I just want to inherit from htmlinputfile control and override
    default LoadPostData always returns
    false I want it to return true it is not security violation because the
    Value property is readonly. The user then does not have to reselect the file
    to try upload again. I have a System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputFile
    control that I use to
    submit files. Before the file is successfully submitted I validate another
    field on the form, it is the description of the file must be 500 characters.
    I am adding the file to a site server library programmatically so if the
    field is too long I want to return the user to the form with file still
    selected in the HtmlInputFile control. I am using an error label to inform
    the user to shorten the description. I do not want the user to have to
    browse again to the same file after he has shortened the description. Right
    now the file does not upload but the control is empty. ASP.NET does not let
    me programmatically put the full filename and path back into the Value
    property of the HtmlInputFile control. How can I do this? I have version
    asp.net 1.1 I found this but I don't know enough where to start
    these controls do not save their viewstate. LoadPostData always returns
    false. You can inherit from the class and
    override LoadPostData to return true and try to restore the value, and still
    have value readonly.
    I am new to c# and asp net controls. is there example to inherit from
    HtmlInputFile class and override LoadPostData to
    return true I am using C# and this is challenging me bad. cindy

    --
    cindy

    cindy, May 23, 2006