Resin/JNDI: object lifecycle

Discussion in 'Java' started by dhek bhun kho, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    If anyone could help me out or provide suggestions on where to look I
    would be more than grateful.

    Some background:

    I registered for free servlet/jsp hosting service. (www.mycgiserver.com)

    0) They seem to be using the Resin servlet container running Compaq's JDK
    for Alpha.
    1) It's not possible to connect the server using the remote debugger
    interface. (no permission to launch new sockets)
    2) The default initial JNDI context is a com.caucho
    com.caucho.naming.MemoryContext instance
    3) Web application deployment is customised and I do not the ability to
    define things using the web.xml or define other servlet- or filter-mappings.
    4) The initial context does not implement javax.naming.event.EventContext

    Setting:

    I was hoping to use jndi services to handle some persistent objects, and
    as a test drive I just bound a String like this:

    c.rebind("myString","myString");

    Problem(?):

    When I perform the lookup the first few times, I can retrieve the the
    binding without any problems. Then after a undefined (short) period, the
    whole JNDI tree is cleared!

    I can't register a listener to the context to get a notification due to
    the removal of any bindings. Nor can I find any documentation on how and
    why the custom bindings are cleared at all.

    Question:

    Is it regular behavior for a JNDI context to just dump it's bindings? If
    not, what is happening?

    I am thinking of resorting to the use of file system context to work
    around this.

    Thanks in advance,
    Bhun.
    dhek bhun kho, Jul 2, 2003