resizable & draggable layers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shailesh Humbad, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    Here's a question for the experts. I would like to know if anyone has
    ever seen or implemented mouse resizable and draggable text-boxes with
    transparent backgrounds. I know that a long time ago,
    http://www.dansteinman.com/dynduo/ created some fancy cross-browser
    dynamic html classes, but I didn't find one where the layers were
    resizable.

    What I am building is a generic form filler for physicians. They scan
    in an 850x1100 pixel image of any of their forms and upload it into
    the server. Then, they define areas of the form where special fields
    go and save the form. Then, whenever they want to generate a form,
    they just pick the patient and the form is auto-populated, and a PDF
    is generated. This is all web-based.

    My current implementation is too slow and clunky. It is basically a
    form with 85 columns and 64 rows of transparent input boxes, each
    holding a single character and overlaying the uploaded form image.
    The input boxes have no borders and are tied to javascript so when the
    user types in the boxes, it appears that they are typing across the
    form. One limitation of this is that the some text won't fit exactly
    onto the entry lines of the form, because the positions are in a fixed
    grid.

    In the form definition interface, the user can select and deselect
    ranges of (single character) input boxes, whose borders dynamically
    highlight to show the range. Once the range is defined, then it can
    be associated with a pre-defined form field, such as patient name,
    patient date of birth, etc. This way, the system knows exactly where
    to auto-fill the form with data from the database.

    Obviously, browsers are not designed to have 5440 dynamic input boxes,
    and the page takes several minutes to render on a p3-1000. It would
    be cleaner to have resizable, draggable, and transparent text boxes
    that the user could generate and position precisely over the
    background image. So has anyone seen such an implementation?

    Thanks,
    Shailesh
    Shailesh Humbad, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Shailesh Humbad

    Vladdy Guest

    Shailesh Humbad wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Here's a question for the experts. I would like to know if anyone has
    > ever seen or implemented mouse resizable and draggable text-boxes with
    > transparent backgrounds. I know that a long time ago,
    > http://www.dansteinman.com/dynduo/ created some fancy cross-browser
    > dynamic html classes, but I didn't find one where the layers were
    > resizable.
    >
    > What I am building is a generic form filler for physicians. They scan
    > in an 850x1100 pixel image of any of their forms and upload it into the
    > server. Then, they define areas of the form where special fields go and
    > save the form. Then, whenever they want to generate a form, they just
    > pick the patient and the form is auto-populated, and a PDF is
    > generated. This is all web-based.
    >
    > My current implementation is too slow and clunky. It is basically a
    > form with 85 columns and 64 rows of transparent input boxes, each
    > holding a single character and overlaying the uploaded form image. The
    > input boxes have no borders and are tied to javascript so when the user
    > types in the boxes, it appears that they are typing across the form.
    > One limitation of this is that the some text won't fit exactly onto the
    > entry lines of the form, because the positions are in a fixed grid.
    >
    > In the form definition interface, the user can select and deselect
    > ranges of (single character) input boxes, whose borders dynamically
    > highlight to show the range. Once the range is defined, then it can be
    > associated with a pre-defined form field, such as patient name, patient
    > date of birth, etc. This way, the system knows exactly where to
    > auto-fill the form with data from the database.
    >
    > Obviously, browsers are not designed to have 5440 dynamic input boxes,
    > and the page takes several minutes to render on a p3-1000. It would be
    > cleaner to have resizable, draggable, and transparent text boxes that
    > the user could generate and position precisely over the background
    > image. So has anyone seen such an implementation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shailesh

    I have a release ready code that needs presentation page and some more
    work on documentation. The preliminary documentation/presentation page
    can be found at:
    http://www.klproductions.com/klwindows/klwindowsmanual.html
    Evaluation version can be downloaded from:
    http://www.klproductions.com/downloadform.php

    Contact me for further info.

    --
    Vladdy