Resize/Close IE Search Pane

Sascha Crescionini

Hello ng

Is there a way to resize and/or close the IE search pane using javascript?
Any ideas?

Greets
Sascha

Randy Webb

Sascha said:
Hello ng

Is there a way to resize and/or close the IE search pane using javascript?
No.

Any ideas?

Stop trying to fool with my browser, its mine, leave it alone.

Short of that, put a note on your page:

"Since I can not design for my site if you have the search pane open,
please close it so that I don't have to learn how to design around it."

Sascha Crescionini

--

btw, I have to do it this way bcause the layout may not change and popups
aren't useful.

kaeli

btw, I have to do it this way bcause the layout may not change and popups
aren't useful.

Code properly. The layout MUST change. Many people have their own
stylesheets, especially the visually impaired and the color-blind.
It isn't as easy as it sounds to code WELL for all sizes (I'm STILL
learning and it's been years and I learn something new every day). Start
by posting over at comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html and
c.i.w.a.stylesheets.

The more you try to work around bad design, the worse you make it for
people with disabilities (visually impaired especially), unusual
configurations, text browsers, javascript disabled browsers, not-so-
popular browsers (Safari/Konqueror) etc.

Randy Webb

Sascha said:
btw, I have to do it this way bcause the layout may not change and popups
aren't useful.

What does that have to do with attempting to change the way I have my
browser set to display? If I have it open, its because I wanted it open,
not so you could attempt to close it (you can't close it nor resize via
script anyway). Its a surefire way to attempt to annoy your ex-visitors.

Sascha Crescionini

What does that have to do with attempting to change the way I have my
browser set to display? If I have it open, its because I wanted it open,
not so you could attempt to close it (you can't close it nor resize via
script anyway). Its a surefire way to attempt to annoy your ex-visitors.

please note:

1. This isn't an internet-application/site for public users and I never
would change anything of YOUR browser.
2. I'm asking for a solution or if it is possible to do this with JS,
nothing else.
3. Don't TEACH me, how I have to realize it. There's a REASON why I'm trying
to realize it this way.

sascha

Randy Webb

Sascha said:
please note:

1. This isn't an internet-application/site for public users and I never
would change anything of YOUR browser.

You didn't state that, and the default assumption in this group is
internet scripting.
2. I'm asking for a solution or if it is possible to do this with JS,
nothing else.

No, its not possible. Its outside the security boundaries.
3. Don't TEACH me, how I have to realize it. There's a REASON why I'm trying
to realize it this way.

If its for an intranet application where you know your users are using
IE only, you could look into an ActiveX component that could possibly
close it, but script alone can't.

kaeli

please note:

1. This isn't an internet-application/site for public users and I never
would change anything of YOUR browser.

You need to say these things. The default assumption is internet use.
2. I'm asking for a solution or if it is possible to do this with JS,
nothing else.

IF you use an HTA and all your users have IE, you get more permissions
to do things. You might want to look into an HTA and WSH. (html
application and windows script host)
3. Don't TEACH me, how I have to realize it. There's a REASON why I'm trying
to realize it this way.

So you came here asking a question, but don't want to learn anything?
How odd.