Resize table problem in Firefox for Web App

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Giggle Girl, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Giggle Girl

    Giggle Girl Guest

    Hi there,
    I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:

    http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp

    It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    becomes compressed.

    I am not sure if this is an "onresize" problem (since the "onload"
    sizing works), or if it is an HTML problem (where Firefox does not like
    tables with 100% width when the holding frame size changes), or
    something else I cannot think of.

    BUT! I appreciate any and all help.

    If I can get the behavior of this example to act the same in IE as
    Firefox, I would be a happy camper.

    This will become a web application, and only has to work in recent
    versions of IE and Firefox.

    Thanks,
    Ann

    Giggle Girl, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Giggle Girl

    Quitchat Guest

    Hi there,
    Just would like you to konw that your page works fine in my
    Firefox(v1.5.0.2),or at least it works the same way it does in my IE
    6.0.

    Regards,
    QC

    Quitchat, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Giggle Girl

    Touffy Guest

    On 2006-04-21 17:28:37 +0200, "Giggle Girl" <> said:

    > Hi there,
    > I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    > column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    > "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:
    >
    > http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp
    >
    > It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    > when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    > But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    > collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    > becomes compressed.

    I just tried it in Safari 2.0.3 and Firefox 1.5.0.2 (on OS X) and it
    works fine in both browsers.

    --
    David Junger

    Touffy, Apr 21, 2006
  4. Giggle Girl

    PeterMcC Guest

    Quitchat wrote in
    <>

    > Hi there,
    > Just would like you to konw that your page works fine in my
    > Firefox(v1.5.0.2),or at least it works the same way it does in my IE
    > 6.0.

    Thanks

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Giggle Girl

    Giggle Girl Guest

    Touffy wrote:
    > On 2006-04-21 17:28:37 +0200, "Giggle Girl" <> said:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > > I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    > > column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    > > "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:
    > >
    > > http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp
    > >
    > > It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    > > when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    > > But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    > > collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    > > becomes compressed.

    > I just tried it in Safari 2.0.3 and Firefox 1.5.0.2 (on OS X) and it
    > works fine in both browsers.
    >

    > --
    > David Junger

    Thank you Quitchat and Touffy for the rapid feedback!

    Yes, it does work fine in Firefox afterall!

    When I saw your surprising responses, I checked my FF version. It was
    1.0.6, so I uninstalled and installed the newest (1.5.0.2) and it
    works!

    Hurray!

    Thanks for the quick feedback,
    Ann

    Giggle Girl, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Giggle Girl

    David Guest

    Giggle Girl wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    > column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    > "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:
    >
    > http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp
    >
    > It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    > when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    > But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    > collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    > becomes compressed.
    >
    > I am not sure if this is an "onresize" problem (since the "onload"
    > sizing works), or if it is an HTML problem (where Firefox does not like
    > tables with 100% width when the holding frame size changes), or
    > something else I cannot think of.
    >
    > BUT! I appreciate any and all help.
    >
    > If I can get the behavior of this example to act the same in IE as
    > Firefox, I would be a happy camper.
    >
    > This will become a web application, and only has to work in recent
    > versions of IE and Firefox.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ann

    Sheesh,
    Perhaps I am blind, but it looks find in my browser FireFox 1.5.0.2
    Looks the same in Konqueror 3.5.2 also

    David, Apr 21, 2006
  7. Giggle Girl wrote :
    > Touffy wrote:
    >> On 2006-04-21 17:28:37 +0200, "Giggle Girl" <> said:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    >>> column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    >>> "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:
    >>>
    >>> http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp
    >>>
    >>> It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    >>> when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    >>> But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    >>> collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    >>> becomes compressed.

    >> I just tried it in Safari 2.0.3 and Firefox 1.5.0.2 (on OS X) and it
    >> works fine in both browsers.
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Junger

    > Thank you Quitchat and Touffy for the rapid feedback!
    >
    > Yes, it does work fine in Firefox afterall!
    >
    > When I saw your surprising responses, I checked my FF version. It was
    > 1.0.6, so I uninstalled and installed the newest (1.5.0.2) and it
    > works!
    >
    > Hurray!
    >
    > Thanks for the quick feedback,
    > Ann

    You could try better with entirely valid markup code to begin with. Your
    top frameset has 2 nested framesets and there is one missing a closing
    tag: there is one without a </frameset>.

    framespacing=0 is also invalid and unneeded if you're using border="0".

    Your other framed documents also have markup errors.

    The chances your DHTML working in Firefox 1.0.x would be increased if
    you were using valid markup code in all your framed documents
    (preferably with a strict DTD) and in your top frameset.

    HTML Tidy extension for Firefox users
    http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/index.html

    Why we won't help you
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

    HTML markup validator
    http://validator.w3.org/

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Giggle Girl a écrit :
    > Hi there,
    > I am having a problem with the behavior of Firefox, where lefthand
    > column content is not resized properly after it is "collapsed" and then
    > "re-expanded". An online demo is available here:
    >
    > http://s161149005.onlinehome.us/DEMOS/FF/RESIZE_PROB/main/frameset.asp
    >
    > It works fine in IE 6, but in Firefox, it is broken. Specifically,
    > when the page/frameset first loads in either browser, it looks correct.
    > But when you click the "yellow minimizer" (see demo) and the column
    > collapses, and then click the "expander", the table layout in Firefox
    > becomes compressed.
    >
    > I am not sure if this is an "onresize" problem (since the "onload"
    > sizing works), or if it is an HTML problem (where Firefox does not like
    > tables with 100% width when the holding frame size changes), or
    > something else I cannot think of.
    >
    > BUT! I appreciate any and all help.
    >
    > If I can get the behavior of this example to act the same in IE as
    > Firefox, I would be a happy camper.
    >
    > This will become a web application, and only has to work in recent
    > versions of IE and Firefox.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ann

    I forgot the obvious. Just by setting your left frame with

    border="4"

    and by removing the noresize attribute, you would make your left frame
    and frameset design accessible in case javascript support is disabled or
    inexistent, and that is not to say also more flexible, user-friendly for
    your visitors. Users dislike sites that over-constrain and over-control
    them. Why make complex and javascript-driven when simple and not
    dependent on javascript can be done?

    Your top-most frame has 0 rows: obviously, there are lots of things that
    you do in that webpage that I would not even consider doing. I would
    first of all get rid of all the frames.

    "
    Frames introduced several usability problem that caused several
    commentators to advise Web site builders to avoid them at all costs.
    Examples of such usability problems are:

    1- * The [back] button works unintuitively in many cases.
    2- * You cannot bookmark a collection of documents in a frameset.
    3- * If you do a [reload], the result may be different to what you had.
    4- * [page up] and [page down] are often hard to do.
    5- * You can get trapped in a frameset.
    6- * Searching finds HTML pages, not Framed pages, so search results
    usually give you pages without the navigation context that they were
    intended to be in.
    7- * Since you can't content negotiatiate, noframes markup is
    necessary for user agents that don't support frames. However, almost no
    one produces noframes content, and so it ruins Web searches, since
    search engines are examples of user agents that do not support frames.
    8- * There are security problems caused by the fact that it is not
    visible to the user when different frames come from different sources.
    "

    All taken from XFrames
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xframes-20020806/#s_intro

    9- The fact that the content frame is without navigation makes such
    document incoherent when isolated. The fact that the navigation frame is
    without an explicit reference to content makes such document illogical
    when isolated, when taken out of context. When you load a frameset, if
    one of the 2 framed-documents has a loading problem of some sort, then
    it affects the usage of both documents.

    10- There are also copyright infringment issues: with frames, it is
    possible to display someone else's site into one's own without his/her
    prior formal approval. Linking to other sites within a frameset can pose
    some legal problems. "frame-spoofing (a web site inserting content into
    a frame that appears to be from another site)"

    11-
    "Interface Design

    Frames promote poor interface design. If you have all your navigation in
    its own frame, how do you account for users who come from other places?
    Keep in mind the example above, search engines can bring a user right
    into the guts of your site. It is easy to forget that people can make
    their way in to the HTML page of a frame, and when they do, how do you
    plan to allow them to get to your home page? Or how do you indicate to
    the user that it is your site? These are all questions that should be
    answered before the design is even begun since supporting them requires
    some trade-offs in the overall site layout. Most navigation frames do
    not indicate the current page. (...) "

    - Search engines have problems with frames:
    Here's what google.com says about frames:
    Google Information for Webmasters
    "
    My webpages have never been included in the Google index.

    2. My site's been live for a few months.
    (...)
    It's also possible that we're not able to crawl your site due to
    technical reasons. A few of the most common ones are listed below:
    (...)
    * Your pages use frames. Google supports frames to the extent
    that we can. Frames tend to cause problems with search engines,
    bookmarks, emailing links and so on, because frames don't fit the
    conceptual model of the web (every page corresponds to a single URL). If
    a user's query matches the page as a whole, Google returns the frame
    set. If a user's query matches an individual frame on the page, Google
    returns the URL for that frame. The page is not displayed in a frame
    because there may be no frame set corresponding to that URL.
    (...)
    "
    taken from Google Information for Webmasters
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html

    Meta-resource
    Why are frames so evil? (this page has 12 links/resources on the issue)

    Why Frames Suck (Most of the Time)
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

    Problems with using frames
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Giggle Girl

    Guest

    hey ann, i wud like to have a view at ur script if u dont mind coz i
    might need the same functionaliy to be used in near future.

    , Apr 27, 2006
  10. wrote:

    > hey ann, i wud like to have a view at ur script if u dont mind coz i
    > might need the same functionaliy to be used in near future.

    You need a new keyboard first.

    PointedEars
    --
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then
    whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Giggle Girl

    Giggle Girl Guest

    > You could try better with entirely valid markup code to begin with. Your
    > top frameset has 2 nested framesets...

    I am not sure what you mean by this? You mean you are not supposed to
    use "nested framesets"? Why not?

    > and there is one missing a closing tag: there is one without a </frameset>.

    Thanks for that, I will fix it. :)

    > framespacing=0 is also invalid and unneeded if you're using border="0".

    That is good to know too, thanks.

    Ann

    Giggle Girl, Apr 29, 2006
  12. Giggle Girl

    Giggle Girl Guest

    wrote:
    > hey ann, i wud like to have a view at ur script if u dont mind coz i
    > might need the same functionaliy to be used in near future.

    No problem.

    To download a local copy with Firefox go FILE > SAVE WEBPAGE AS and you
    are good to go...

    Or just "view source", right?

    Ann

    Giggle Girl, Apr 29, 2006