resize window

Daniel Doman

I have an application that loads into three frames.I'd like to maximize the
browser window on load.

I know I can write javascript code to maximize the parent window from one
of the frames, but I only want to do this ONCE when the app is first
loaded. All of the frames are freshed constantly from user interaction.

If the user resizes the window I don't want to force it back up again. I'd
like to do this only once when I define the frame but I can't figure out
how to do this (can this be done from the frame html?) and I don't want to
track this by cookie if I can help it.

EightNineThree

Daniel Doman said:
I have an application that loads into three frames.I'd like to maximize the
browser window on load.
Leave my fucking browser window alone.
"Why Frames Are Bad" http://www.theoryxdesign.com/articles/article.php?id=2

I know I can write javascript code to maximize the parent window from one
of the frames, but I only want to do this ONCE when the app is first
loaded. All of the frames are freshed constantly from user interaction.

The Top Ten New Mistakes of Web Design -
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
1. Breaking or Slowing Down the Back Button (i.e. via refresh)
2. Opening New Browser Windows

Andrew Davidson

Daniel Doman said:
I have an application that loads into three frames.

Bad, bad, bad
I'd like to maximize the
browser window on load.

Very bad. You don't have the right to do that.
I know I can write javascript code

which may not run.
to maximize the parent window from one
of the frames

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Hint: you shouldn't.
but I only want to do this ONCE when the app is first
loaded.

Better not to do it at all.
All of the frames are refreshed constantly from user interaction.

God help us. It sounds like a merry-go-round.
If the user resizes the window I don't want to force it back up again.

That's good. If the user resizes the window, it'll be whatever size the user
wants it to be. Leave it alone.
I'd
like to do this only once when I define the frame but I can't figure out
how to do this (can this be done from the frame html?) and I don't want to
track this by cookie if I can help it.

Trust me on this:
- Ditch the frames.
- Ditch the javascript.
- Ditch the control-freak attitude.
- Keep the user.

William Tasso

brucie said:
why would your page need a window 1600x1200px

that's not any concern of yours - the deziner has specified max and that's
what it should be.
and even if it does what
makes you think i want that?

you are not capable of making that decision being a mere user, a consumer,
your role in the exchange is to sit back and be wowed by the scintilating
page design.

Any benefit you get from the resource being completely incidental to the
primary objective of delivering the 'complete user experience'.

Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I understand the unwillingess to "mess" with a user's browser when doing general web work. But if for instance the target audience is not the general world but rather a closed off group of employees getting trained via the web through their employers intranet/LMS then the choice of whether or not the end user should be able to resize their own window so that they can do something else while visiting a site, become moot. Sometimes the training delivered requires a full sized window to be effective.

Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
yesbut....

Three frames sounds excessive, but....

Most of you lot sound like a bunch of children! Rude children! Every web-site is different and has a different intent and amount of content. If the page is resized or in frames "just for the hell of it" then yes it is bad design. If one or two pages are in frames and the rest of the site breaks back out of the frames, then where is the harm in that? In certain instances it can be useful to have an image or a glossary term pop up in a small window. I find I almost constantly resize browser windows whilst surfing at home.... if these tricks are used sparingly and for a real/useful purpose, I am all for them. When they are used will-nilly, then I think it is a problem.

mecrosis: +1: I agree that websites not intended for the masses (ie LMSs and training sites) should be able to make use of frames, resizing, pop-ups and other generally reviled techniques, indeed most users of such systems get used to them and don't seem to have any real problems with them.

I hate it when my internet banking's first screen maximises the browser, the next screen then opens in a pop-up at about 700x400px. It seems unecessary and an example of poor design (ie they have a lot of room to play with and they mung it completely!). Check it out to see what I mean www.boq.com.au, pretend you're a member and go to where you log in to your internet banking.... yucko!

There are far worse things on the web than a site that makes you click a button to resize your browser.

lesson over, kids.