resizing table/iframe

Bootstrap bill

I have an iframe embedded in a single cell table. I'd like to resize the
table and iframe to match any changes made to window size. Is this possible?

kaeli

I have an iframe embedded in a single cell table. I'd like to resize the
table and iframe to match any changes made to window size. Is this possible?

Why don't you just use percents instead of pixels in the first place?
It'll resize automagically.

Bootstrap bill

kaeli said:
Why don't you just use percents instead of pixels in the first place?
It'll resize automagically.

Thanks for your reply.

The problem with that is the percentages will change as the window is
resized..

Here's what I want

+-----------------------------------+
| fixed size menu |
+-----------------------------------+
| variable size iframe |
| resizes with window |
+-----------------------------------+
| fixed size footer |
| copyright notices, etc. |
+-----------------------------------+

Can this be done without code?

kaeli

The problem with that is the percentages will change as the window is
resized..

That's usually a solution, not a problem. ;)
Fixed-sized things can be problematic for internet apps.
Here's what I want

+-----------------------------------+
| fixed size menu |
+-----------------------------------+
| variable size iframe |
| resizes with window |
+-----------------------------------+
| fixed size footer |
| copyright notices, etc. |
+-----------------------------------+

Can this be done without code?

Sure, just use percents for the iframe and not the divs.

....But it's going to look really, really awful for a lot of people if
this is an internet site. Most people use 800 by 600 resolution and a
lot of web designers use font that is too small, so a lot of users end
up smacking up their fonts to large or even extra-large. What might that
do to your fixed layout? Depends how you coded it, of course, but it
often breaks.
If a user has a huge window, your header and footer looks stupid with
the huge iframe. If the user has a really small window, they are stuck
scrolling.

Got URL or example HTML?

It does matter if this is for the internet. If it is, you should really
be using percents for everything, especially font-sizes, so the
visually-impaired can still read your stuff, and valid html/CSS so
special browsers can interpret it properly. If it's a personal site or
for an intranet, these issues are less of a, well, issue. *g*

In short, if you use absolute font sizes, some browsers can't increase
the size without a whole special stylesheet for the user. That's a Bad
Thing. And one a lot of people don't seem to know.
OTOH, if you use percents for fonts inside absolutely sized / positioned
divs, increasing the font size makes it run outside the div. Also a Bad
Thing.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't stare at someone
who does. Just don't lick the TV screen, it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace