    "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
    everything goes dead wrong.".

    Bootstrap bill, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Bootstrap bill

    kaeli Guest

    In article <FEjCc.61901$>,
    enlightened us with...
    > I have an iframe embedded in a single cell table. I'd like to resize the
    > table and iframe to match any changes made to window size. Is this possible?

    Why don't you just use percents instead of pixels in the first place?
    It'll resize automagically.

    ~kaeli~
    With her marriage, she got a new name and a dress.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Jun 23, 2004

  3. "kaeli" <> wrote in message
    > In article <FEjCc.61901$>,
    > enlightened us with...
    > > I have an iframe embedded in a single cell table. I'd like to resize the
    > > table and iframe to match any changes made to window size. Is this

    possible?

    > Why don't you just use percents instead of pixels in the first place?
    > It'll resize automagically.

    Thanks for your reply.

    The problem with that is the percentages will change as the window is
    resized..

    Here's what I want

    +-----------------------------------+
    | fixed size menu |
    +-----------------------------------+
    | variable size iframe |
    | resizes with window |
    +-----------------------------------+
    | fixed size footer |
    | copyright notices, etc. |
    +-----------------------------------+

    Can this be done without code?

    Bootstrap bill, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Bootstrap bill

    kaeli Guest

    In article <k7kCc.61907$>,
    enlightened us with...

    > The problem with that is the percentages will change as the window is
    > resized..

    That's usually a solution, not a problem. ;)
    Fixed-sized things can be problematic for internet apps.

    > Here's what I want
    >
    > +-----------------------------------+
    > | fixed size menu |
    > +-----------------------------------+
    > | variable size iframe |
    > | resizes with window |
    > +-----------------------------------+
    > | fixed size footer |
    > | copyright notices, etc. |
    > +-----------------------------------+
    >
    > Can this be done without code?

    Sure, just use percents for the iframe and not the divs.

    ....But it's going to look really, really awful for a lot of people if
    this is an internet site. Most people use 800 by 600 resolution and a
    lot of web designers use font that is too small, so a lot of users end
    up smacking up their fonts to large or even extra-large. What might that
    do to your fixed layout? Depends how you coded it, of course, but it
    often breaks.
    If a user has a huge window, your header and footer looks stupid with
    the huge iframe. If the user has a really small window, they are stuck
    scrolling.

    Got URL or example HTML?

    It does matter if this is for the internet. If it is, you should really
    be using percents for everything, especially font-sizes, so the
    visually-impaired can still read your stuff, and valid html/CSS so
    special browsers can interpret it properly. If it's a personal site or
    for an intranet, these issues are less of a, well, issue. *g*

    In short, if you use absolute font sizes, some browsers can't increase
    the size without a whole special stylesheet for the user. That's a Bad
    Thing. And one a lot of people don't seem to know.
    OTOH, if you use percents for fonts inside absolutely sized / positioned
    divs, increasing the font size makes it run outside the div. Also a Bad
    Thing.

    ~kaeli~
    Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't stare at someone
    who does. Just don't lick the TV screen, it leaves streaks.

    kaeli, Jun 23, 2004