Resizing within css

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I have a bit of css which looks like this...

#container {
position: relative;
width: 680px;
margin: auto;
padding: 0;
color: #000;
background: #eee
url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat scroll -30% 30%;
border: #443b2c 1px solid;
text-align: left;
height: auto;
}

Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
is scaled correctly?

I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"
width="680" height="495") and removing the % figures, and yep, it
completely failed to work!

Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

TTFN

Paul

rf

Paul F. Johnson said:
Hi,

I have a bit of css which looks like this...

#container {
position: relative;
width: 680px;
margin: auto;
padding: 0;
color: #000;
background: #eee
url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat scroll -30% 30%;
border: #443b2c 1px solid;
text-align: left;
height: auto;
}

Ooer, I hope this is just testing CSS, you know, just stuff you are fiddling
around with.
Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

Background images cannot be scaled or changed in size in any way.
Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
is scaled correctly?
No.

I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"
404

Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

Hmmm. Hideously small text and when I make it larger the design falls
totally apart.

Cheers
Richard.