Resizing within css

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a bit of css which looks like this...

    #container {
    position: relative;
    width: 680px;
    margin: auto;
    padding: 0;
    color: #000;
    background: #eee
    url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat scroll -30% 30%;
    border: #443b2c 1px solid;
    text-align: left;
    height: auto;
    }

    Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
    is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
    I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
    was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

    Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
    is scaled correctly?

    I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"
    width="680" height="495") and removing the % figures, and yep, it
    completely failed to work!

    Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
    http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a bit of css which looks like this...
    >
    > #container {
    > position: relative;
    > width: 680px;
    > margin: auto;
    > padding: 0;
    > color: #000;
    > background: #eee
    > url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat

    scroll -30% 30%;
    > border: #443b2c 1px solid;
    > text-align: left;
    > height: auto;
    > }

    Ooer, I hope this is just testing CSS, you know, just stuff you are fiddling
    around with.

    > Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
    > is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
    > I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
    > was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

    Background images cannot be scaled or changed in size in any way.

    > Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
    > is scaled correctly?

    No.

    > I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"

    404

    > Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
    > http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

    Hmmm. Hideously small text and when I make it larger the design falls
    totally apart.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 28, 2003

  3. rf wrote:

    > Background images cannot be scaled or changed in size in any way.

    .... until browsers implement more of CSS Level 3.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 29, 2003