Resolutions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joe Patrick, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Joe Patrick

    Joe Patrick Guest

    Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
    <head>
    <title>Railways Online | railwaysonline.co.uk</title>
    </head>
    <frameset cols="195,*" border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0>
    <frame src="menu.html" name="menu">
    <frameset rows="110,*">
    <frame src="top.html" name="top">
    <frame src="home.html" name="main">
    </frameset>
    </frameset>
    <noframes>
    </noframes>

    Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
    (expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main is
    the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu (left)
    frame.
    Thanks for the help,
    Joe
    --
    To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
    For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

    Joe Patrick, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Joe Patrick

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Joe Patrick" <> writes:
    > Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
    > <head>
    > <title>Railways Online | railwaysonline.co.uk</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset cols="195,*" border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0>
    > <frame src="menu.html" name="menu">
    > <frameset rows="110,*">
    > <frame src="top.html" name="top">
    > <frame src="home.html" name="main">
    > </frameset>
    > </frameset>
    > <noframes>
    > </noframes>
    >
    > Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
    > (expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main is
    > the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu (left)
    > frame.

    Well, it's best not to use frames at all. However, if you insist...

    Percentages or pixels depends on what content the frame has. If it's
    images with a fixed width/height, then pixels, otherwise percent. At
    least for the widths. The heights is a bit of a trickier one,
    possibly a reasonably large number of pixels would work even for text.
    This is _another point_ where using frames *really* doesn't help
    making your design flexible.

    Also, your frame names aren't always particularly useful - menu and
    main are okay, though 'content' for 'main' might be better. 'top' is
    entirely useless, though. I can't tell what that's supposed to be.
    You should also duplicate those name attributes in a title attribute.

    You don't need that <body></body> bit.

    Why not put the contents of 'noframe.html' inside the <noframes>
    element, rather than just linking.

    If you're redesigning the site though, *don't* start with frames.
    Take the opportunity to get a decent design.

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Aug 31, 2003

    Nooooooooooo! http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

    > Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
    > (expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main
    > is the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu
    > (left) frame.

    It depends on the type of data in the left frame. Usually both percentages
    and pixels are suboptimal - but with frames you are stuck with them.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Joe Patrick

    Joe Patrick Guest

    > > Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
    >
    > > <frameset cols="195,*" border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0>

    > Nooooooooooo! http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    >
    > > Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
    > > (expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main
    > > is the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu
    > > (left) frame.

    > It depends on the type of data in the left frame. Usually both percentages
    > and pixels are suboptimal - but with frames you are stuck with them.

    I used frames because I was in a hurry to get my site out, which is why I am
    developing another version (in the background!). My page is layed out thus:
    |-------------------------------------------|
    | | |
    | | NEWS |
    | |--------------------------------|
    | | |
    | | |
    |MENU | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | MAIN PAGE |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    |-------------------------------------------|

    The news is top.html, the menu is menu.html and the main page changes on an
    option selected from the menu.
    The frames document is active.html

    I dont really know much about CSS or alternatives to Frames, I bring in new
    pages monthly so I have to be able to update it easily, from a single page
    without editing each file.

    Joe Patrick, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Joe Patrick wrote:

    >> Nooooooooooo! http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

    > I dont really know much about CSS or alternatives to Frames

    See the above URI

    > I bring in new pages monthly so I have to be able to update it easily,
    > from a single page without editing each file.

    Lots of ways to do that. See the above URI.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Joe Patrick