Resolutions

Joe Patrick

Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
<head>
<title>Railways Online | railwaysonline.co.uk</title>
</head>
<frameset cols="195,*" border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0>
<frame src="menu.html" name="menu">
<frameset rows="110,*">
<frame src="top.html" name="top">
<frame src="home.html" name="main">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes>
</noframes>

Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
(expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main is
the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu (left)
frame.
Thanks for the help,
Joe

Chris Morris

Joe Patrick said:
Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
<head>
<title>Railways Online | railwaysonline.co.uk</title>
</head>
<frameset cols="195,*" border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0>
<frame src="menu.html" name="menu">
<frameset rows="110,*">
<frame src="top.html" name="top">
<frame src="home.html" name="main">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes>
</noframes>

Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
(expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main is
the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu (left)
frame.

Well, it's best not to use frames at all. However, if you insist...

Percentages or pixels depends on what content the frame has. If it's
images with a fixed width/height, then pixels, otherwise percent. At
least for the widths. The heights is a bit of a trickier one,
possibly a reasonably large number of pixels would work even for text.
This is _another point_ where using frames *really* doesn't help
making your design flexible.

Also, your frame names aren't always particularly useful - menu and
main are okay, though 'content' for 'main' might be better. 'top' is
entirely useless, though. I can't tell what that's supposed to be.
You should also duplicate those name attributes in a title attribute.

You don't need that <body></body> bit.

Why not put the contents of 'noframe.html' inside the <noframes>
element, rather than just linking.

If you're redesigning the site though, *don't* start with frames.
Take the opportunity to get a decent design.

David Dorward

Nooooooooooo! http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
Is it a better idea to use percentages or exact widths with an asterisk
(expanding across the rest of the browser window)? The frame called main
is the one which changes depending on choices selected from the menu
(left) frame.

It depends on the type of data in the left frame. Usually both percentages
and pixels are suboptimal - but with frames you are stuck with them.

Joe Patrick

Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
Nooooooooooo! http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

It depends on the type of data in the left frame. Usually both percentages
and pixels are suboptimal - but with frames you are stuck with them.

I used frames because I was in a hurry to get my site out, which is why I am
developing another version (in the background!). My page is layed out thus:
|-------------------------------------------|
| | |
| | NEWS |
| |--------------------------------|
| | |
| | |
|MENU | |
| | |
| | |
| | MAIN PAGE |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
|-------------------------------------------|

The news is top.html, the menu is menu.html and the main page changes on an
option selected from the menu.
The frames document is active.html

I dont really know much about CSS or alternatives to Frames, I bring in new
pages monthly so I have to be able to update it easily, from a single page
without editing each file.

David Dorward

I dont really know much about CSS or alternatives to Frames

See the above URI
I bring in new pages monthly so I have to be able to update it easily,
from a single page without editing each file.

Lots of ways to do that. See the above URI.

Isofarro

Joe said:
Im redesigning my web page and have came up with a trial version:
<head>
<title>Railways Online | railwaysonline.co.uk</title>
</head>
<frameset

Railways and frames....
Moths and lights...