Resources For A Beginner

Discussion in 'XML' started by jacksonaaronc@gmail.com, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Greetings,

    I am in need of two things.

    First, I need a list of good resources for someone that wishes to learn
    XML. If there are any defacto books, URL, etc I would love to know
    where to start. I usually do best with a high quality book so if there
    are any really great books you can recommend I would appreciate it.

    Secondly, I need to find an editor similar to XMLFox for editing some
    simple XML files that are used as the base for two Pocket PC quiz
    programs I use. I tried XMLFox, but it was giving me strange errors and
    freezing. The newest version is not freeware and I need it to be free
    at this point.

    The first piece of software is called PocketExam and the DTD file can
    be found here: http://www.bizon.org/pocketexam/dtd.txt (whatever a DTD
    file is) The creator told me about it and while I can understand it to
    some degree, I'm not sure what the file is for. I thought it might be
    helpful to post in case it would help in suggesting a piece of software
    that will accomplish what I need.

    The second piece of software is called FlashCard and uses a .XSD file
    instead of DTD (I assume these are two different options to accomplish
    similar things).

    That file is as follows:

    >>BEGIN QUIZ.XSD<<

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <xs:schema id="QUIZ" targetNamespace="http://www.bmanser.com/Quiz.xsd"
    xmlns:mstns="http://www.bmanser.com/Quiz.xsd"
    xmlns="http://www.bmanser.com/Quiz.xsd"
    xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
    attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
    <xs:element name="QUIZ" msdata:IsDataSet="true" msdata:Locale="en-AU"
    msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <xs:element name="questions">
    <xs:complexType>
    <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="question" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"
    msdata:Ordinal="0" />
    <xs:element name="answer" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"
    msdata:Ordinal="1" />
    <xs:element name="multiChoice" type="xs:boolean" minOccurs="0"
    />
    <xs:element name="choiceList" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
    <xs:element name="picture" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
    <xs:element name="sound" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
    </xs:sequence>
    <xs:attribute name="name" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    </xs:choice>
    </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    </xs:schema>

    >>END QUIZ.XSD<<

    If there is any other informaiton I can provide that would make it
    easier to recommend an XML editor that will allow me to create a quiz
    from these files without having to actually edit the XML please let me
    know and I will gladly post it.

    I greatly appreciate any help you can provide in both of these areas!

    Aaron Jackson
    http://www.thesitterdowners.com
    , Jul 9, 2005

  2. http://www.w3schools.com/ is an excellent place to start. I use HTML
    Kit at work to edit xml/xslt but there are much better tools for the
    job. I think the one they use for the w3 schools is called XML Spy and
    there is a trial/limited version to download;

    http://www.altova.com/products_ide.html

    If thats not enough, you could have a look on google for a xsd editor.
    An .xsd file acts as a description for an .xml document. This is the
    same as a schema, with schemas being the newer version. There's a lot
    more about this on w3 schools, so you should be able to pick it up from
    there. Hope this helps.
    reclusive monkey, Jul 10, 2005

    Reclusive Monkey,

    Thank you! The w3schools site is really good stuff! Just what I need
    for a place to begin. After spending just a couple of minutes there I
    have a much clearer understanding of what XML is as opposed to what I
    thought it was. Thanks again.

    Aaron Jackson
    , Jul 12, 2005
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am in need of two things.
    >
    > First, I need a list of good resources for someone that wishes to learn
    > XML. If there are any defacto books, URL, etc I would love to know
    > where to start. I usually do best with a high quality book so if there
    > are any really great books you can recommend I would appreciate it.

    The XML FAQ is at http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    ///Peter
    &;top"
    Peter Flynn, Aug 10, 2005