Response.ContentType = "Application/pdf"

Bjorn Sagbakken

With ASP.NET 2.0
I'm trying to display the pdf file directly in the client browser, but I
only get a download dialogue box. Downloading the file works fine, but I
want to view the PDF directly.

I get the same response with:

Response.ContentType="Application/X-unknown" which is more understandable.

The Response.ContentType="Application/pdf" doesn't seem to tell the browser
that this actually is a PDF-file.

Mybe there is only a mistyping, but I shuld like a complete list of the
options for ContentType, like what phrase to use for all kind of files.
Anyone that knows where to find this?

(I have searched through help without finding a listing of all the filetypes
available)

Bjorn

Mark Fitzpatrick

Bjorn,
You won't find a listing of possible contenttypes because there is
no set list. The content type just sets the MIME type for an element. MIME
types are constantly being expanded upon as new file formats are being
developed.

You can google for them. There's a table with a number of major MIME
types at:
http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/Book/Book-3ed/appb/mimetype.html

Application/pdf should work. The Application/X-unknown is the one
that developers use to force the browser to download the file. It could also
be an issue where your browser is not associating the pdf file with the
viewer correctly.

Try adding this line:
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline;filename="Filename.pdf");

Bjorn Sagbakken

Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline;filename="Filename.pdf")
This result in a blank screen. Right-clicking on the form to view source for
curiosity show this message:
"The XML source file is unavailable for viewing" --> But I have not added
anything XML-like to my form.
Note, I retrieve the pdf from a SQL server, using
"Response.BinaryWrite(FileByte)" as output.

Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition",
"attachment;filename="Filename.pdf")
This causes the download box to appear. Ok for the moment, but not as
intended.

I just don't know why this happens. Maybe something in the @ page area or in
the html-header of the file?
Or in the settings of the browser?