Discussion in 'ASP General' started by dave, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    dave, Jul 18, 2005

  2. dave

    Matt Guest

    The Response object will only tell the browser what application to use
    to display the content. You will be required to use a third party
    application to generate an actual PDF document. There are command line
    tools out there you could use to accomplish this at
    http://www.pdf-tools.com/. I have used them and they work great.
    Text2PDf is included in their command line package. You can genearte a
    ..txt file on the fly using FSO and then run the "text2pdf" to convert
    the .txt file (that was generated on-the-fly) to a PDF document.

    One note, PDF files are an output file format. Even the full-blown
    version of Adobe Acrobat doesn't give you the ability to create a PDF
    (just edit an existing one). PDF files are normally created in another
    application (Word, Page Maker, etc.) and Exported/Converted to PDF
    using Acrobat Distiller.

    If you know other languages you may be able to generate a PDF on the
    fly through your own code but not in ASP (i.e. - Ghostscript).

    Matt, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Also see
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2207

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 18, 2005