response end, set rs = nothing

Slim

I must admit I always forget to use "response.end"

and I also forget to "set objects = nothing"

how important are these things.

I know my application run fine without them probably because I usually have
plenty of processing power and ram.

My understanding is that a small peace of ram will be tied up for a set
period of time, and then it will be returned for use.

Can someone elaborate

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Slim said:
I must admit I always forget to use "response.end"

So do I. I rarely use it except when I want the response to end at some
point other than the default.
and I also forget to "set objects = nothing"

I used to be in the "if you create the object, destroy it" camp, but i've
been convinced otherwise. Do a google for Lippert and Nothing to see what
convinced me.

I'm still in the "if you open it, close it" camp, which still has validity.

The only place where I'm still a little anal about it is with ADO objects,
where the failure to destroy objects in the proper order can defeat the
garbage collector's efforts to clean up, leading to memory leaks. Child
objects (such as recordsets) should be destroyed before parent objects
(connections), so I still write the extra two lines of code to make sure
this happens.

Bob Barrows

Slim

Bob Barrows said:
So do I. I rarely use it except when I want the response to end at some
point other than the default.

I used to be in the "if you create the object, destroy it" camp, but i've
been convinced otherwise. Do a google for Lippert and Nothing to see what
convinced me.

I'm still in the "if you open it, close it" camp, which still has
validity.

The only place where I'm still a little anal about it is with ADO objects,
where the failure to destroy objects in the proper order can defeat the
garbage collector's efforts to clean up, leading to memory leaks. Child
objects (such as recordsets) should be destroyed before parent objects
(connections), so I still write the extra two lines of code to make sure
this happens.

Bob Barrows

thats very much.

I always close object but rarely destroy them also