Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E) when Response.Write'ing a variable

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Niall Porter, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Niall Porter

    Niall Porter Guest

    Hi All,

    Using Win2k SP4, no .NET stuff just plain ASP using JScript as
    serverside scripting language.

    Early in my .asp file I have this bit of code :

    <%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
    <!--#include file="../Connections/cnn_intra.asp" -->
    <!--#include file="../connections/cnn_intra_shaped.asp" -->

    -- cut some irrelevant code from here --

    <%
    var rst_shapeset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset");
    rst_shapeset.ActiveConnection = MM_cnn_intra_shaped_STRING;
    rst_shapeset.Source = "SHAPE {SELECT * FROM dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails
    WHERE
    dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails.Par = " +
    rst_shapeset__var_projectid.replace(/'/g, "''") + " ORDER BY
    dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails.revID DESC} APPEND ({SELECT * FROM
    dbo.tbl_pm_expenses} RELATE revID TO Par) AS expenses";
    rst_shapeset.CursorType = 0;
    rst_shapeset.CursorLocation = 2;
    rst_shapeset.LockType = 1;
    rst_shapeset.Open();
    var rst_shapeset_numRows = 0;
    %>

    -- cut some more irrelevant code from here --

    <%
    var rst_expensesShapeChild = rst_shapeset("expenses").Value;
    %>

    -- cut yet more irrelevant code from here --

    <%
    var expensesTotal = 0;

    if (!rst_expensesShapeChild.EOF || !rst_expensesShapeChild.BOF) {
    rst_expensesShapeChild.MoveFirst();
    while (!rst_expensesShapeChild.EOF) {
    expensesSubTotal = rst_expensesShapeChild +
    rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;
    rst_expensesShapeChild.MoveNext;
    %>

    All the above happens *before* the <HTML> tag. Somewhere within the
    <BODY> I have this:

    Obviously the variable expensesSubTotal is populated by the While loop
    in the last bit of ASP/Javascript code above. But I'm getting the
    error:

    Error Type:
    Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E)
    A default property was not found for the object.
    /ictest/pmdb/pmdb_sub_commercial.asp, line 463

    It doesnt seem to matter whether I just use <%=expensesSubTotal%> or
    <%Response.Write(expensesSubTotal)%> I always get the same error.
    Microsoft appear to know nothing whatsoever of this error, a search of
    the entire microsoft.com site yields absolutely nothing.

    If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful! If anyone from Microsoft
    is reading this, please document the error messages, how are we
    supposed to fix bugs when we can't even find out what's wrong?
    Niall Porter, Nov 22, 2004

  2. > expensesSubTotal = rst_expensesShapeChild +
    > rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;

    Can you explain exactly what the above line is supposed to be doing?

    IntegerVariable = RecordsetObject + RecordsetValue;

    ???

    Did you mean:

    expensesSubTotal +=

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 22, 2004

  3. Niall Porter

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Well, the first thing I would do would be to hard-code a value for
    expensesSubTotal. Does this work?

    Then debug/response write out the values of any intermediate variables
    without performing math..etc etc

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Niall Porter

    Niall Porter Guest

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > expensesSubTotal = rst_expensesShapeChild +
    > > rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;

    > Can you explain exactly what the above line is supposed to be doing?
    >
    > IntegerVariable = RecordsetObject + RecordsetValue;
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Did you mean:
    >
    > expensesSubTotal +=
    > rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;
    >
    > ???

    Yes, sorry ignore me, my code is mince :) Ever had one of those times
    where you've been working on one thing for about 2 weeks and only
    managed to get maybe 10 lines of code working? You get the picture...

    Thanks for the responses tho, my bad!

    Niall
    Niall Porter, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Niall Porter

    Guest

    Re: Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E) when Response.Write

    I was searching Google for this error and i happened upon this post. right after i found this post i resolved the error. It's no wonder that MS knows nothing about this because there isn't anything to know. basically the error description says it all... "The object is missing a default property." It turns out i was using a reserved word as a variable like this <%=application%>. even though i had assigned a value to the value to "application" the system thought i was trying to use the Application object and since i did not give a property it gave an error :-( I found the location of the error by using the <%on error resume next%> trick and basically working from the top of te page down until the error popped up again. this was a total oversight on my part. dont be fooled by correct looking code, even when i found it i did not beleive it was the problem because it looked correct. I hope this helps, Scott

    , Nov 30, 2004
  6. Re: Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E) when Response.Write

    Well, a search for 8002000E brings me straight to this article:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2384

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "wsb" <> wrote in message
    > I was searching Google for this error and i happened upon this post. right

    after i found this post i resolved the error. It's no wonder that MS knows
    nothing about this because there isn't anything to know. basically the error
    description says it all... "The object is missing a default property." It
    turns out i was using a reserved word as a variable like this
    <%=application%>. even though i had assigned a value to the value to
    "application" the system thought i was trying to use the Application object
    and since i did not give a property it gave an error :-( I found the
    location of the error by using the <%on error resume next%> trick and
    basically working from the top of te page down until the error popped up
    again. this was a total oversight on my part. dont be fooled by correct
    looking code, even when i found it i did not beleive it was the problem
    because it looked correct. I hope this helps, Scott

    > Sent via Fuzzy Software @ http://www.fuzzysoftware.com/
    > Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &

    ASP.NET resources...
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 30, 2004