Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E) when Response.Write'ing a variable

Niall Porter

Hi All,

Using Win2k SP4, no .NET stuff just plain ASP using JScript as
serverside scripting language.

Early in my .asp file I have this bit of code :

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<!--#include file="../Connections/cnn_intra.asp" -->
<!--#include file="../connections/cnn_intra_shaped.asp" -->

-- cut some irrelevant code from here --

<%
var rst_shapeset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset");
rst_shapeset.ActiveConnection = MM_cnn_intra_shaped_STRING;
rst_shapeset.Source = "SHAPE {SELECT * FROM dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails
WHERE
dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails.Par = " +
rst_shapeset__var_projectid.replace(/'/g, "''") + " ORDER BY
dbo.tbl_pm_revisiondetails.revID DESC} APPEND ({SELECT * FROM
dbo.tbl_pm_expenses} RELATE revID TO Par) AS expenses";
rst_shapeset.CursorType = 0;
rst_shapeset.CursorLocation = 2;
rst_shapeset.LockType = 1;
rst_shapeset.Open();
var rst_shapeset_numRows = 0;
%>

-- cut some more irrelevant code from here --

<%
var rst_expensesShapeChild = rst_shapeset("expenses").Value;
%>

-- cut yet more irrelevant code from here --

<%
var expensesTotal = 0;

if (!rst_expensesShapeChild.EOF || !rst_expensesShapeChild.BOF) {
rst_expensesShapeChild.MoveFirst();
while (!rst_expensesShapeChild.EOF) {
expensesSubTotal = rst_expensesShapeChild +
rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;
rst_expensesShapeChild.MoveNext;
%>

All the above happens *before* the <HTML> tag. Somewhere within the
<BODY> I have this:

Obviously the variable expensesSubTotal is populated by the While loop
in the last bit of ASP/Javascript code above. But I'm getting the
error:

Error Type:
Response object, ASP 0185 (0x8002000E)
A default property was not found for the object.
/ictest/pmdb/pmdb_sub_commercial.asp, line 463

It doesnt seem to matter whether I just use <%=expensesSubTotal%> or
<%Response.Write(expensesSubTotal)%> I always get the same error.
Microsoft appear to know nothing whatsoever of this error, a search of
the entire microsoft.com site yields absolutely nothing.

If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful! If anyone from Microsoft
is reading this, please document the error messages, how are we
supposed to fix bugs when we can't even find out what's wrong?

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

expensesSubTotal = rst_expensesShapeChild +
rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;

Can you explain exactly what the above line is supposed to be doing?

IntegerVariable = RecordsetObject + RecordsetValue;

???

Did you mean:

expensesSubTotal +=
rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;

???

Jeff Dillon

Well, the first thing I would do would be to hard-code a value for
expensesSubTotal. Does this work?

Then debug/response write out the values of any intermediate variables
without performing math..etc etc

Jeff

Niall Porter

Aaron said:
Can you explain exactly what the above line is supposed to be doing?

IntegerVariable = RecordsetObject + RecordsetValue;

???

Did you mean:

expensesSubTotal +=
rst_expensesShapeChild.Fields.Item("ExpenseValue").Value;

???

Yes, sorry ignore me, my code is mince :) Ever had one of those times
where you've been working on one thing for about 2 weeks and only
managed to get maybe 10 lines of code working? You get the picture...

Thanks for the responses tho, my bad!

Niall

sbreply

I was searching Google for this error and i happened upon this post. right after i found this post i resolved the error. It's no wonder that MS knows nothing about this because there isn't anything to know. basically the error description says it all... "The object is missing a default property." It turns out i was using a reserved word as a variable like this <%=application%>. even though i had assigned a value to the value to "application" the system thought i was trying to use the Application object and since i did not give a property it gave an error :-( I found the location of the error by using the <%on error resume next%> trick and basically working from the top of te page down until the error popped up again. this was a total oversight on my part. dont be fooled by correct looking code, even when i found it i did not beleive it was the problem because it looked correct. I hope this helps, Scott

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Well, a search for 8002000E brings me straight to this article:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2384

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

wsb said:
[...]
Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &
ASP.NET resources...