Response redirect Doesnt Work

dave

Why oh why doesnt this work???

I have a simple forms authentication that all works fine, ie it validates
user details against a db.

When i try to redirect it goes off to nowhere.

eg - code snippet:

FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(dat("USER_ID"), AutoLogin.Checked)
Context.Response.Redirect("index.aspx")
'and tried just Response.Redirect("index.aspx")

Both of which look like they are going off somewhere, but never reach the
desired page. I have also tried the following within the <HTML> tag, but
still the same result?

if User.Identity.IsAuthenticated then
response.redirect("index.aspx")
end if

This is driving me totally nuts!

Hope someone can help.

Raj Lealh

This problem is driving me nuts too!!

Response.End does not work either. :0(

I've seen some strange things happen. I do have a version that works...

But when I use a web service to authenticate (called when submitting
username and password), the call to:

Response.Redirect(
FormsAuthentication.GetRedirectUrl(txtUserName.Text,
false));

does not work, but just loops on the login page.

Is there anyone that knows why?

dave

FOUND IT!

The reason in my case was SmartNavigation="True" was set at the top of the
login.aspx page - soon as i removed it - it starting working.

Hope this helps others......

Raj Lealh

I found the problem was due to the size of the cookie (> 4.0 KB)

I was trying to populate the cookie with group names retrieved from
parsing through Windows 2000 Active Directory. The size of the output
(xml) was too big, just over 4.0 kb, since I retrieved all nested groups
that the user belonged to.

I ended up implementing forms authentication without cookies, and now it
works fine. You just have to put in a few extra measures to deal with
security of the mangled URL... ;o)

example of mangled url (contains session id in brackets):

http://myserver.edu/(weQWerw34534532456)/admin.aspx

Interesting.. eh?