Response redirect Doesnt Work

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by dave, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    Why oh why doesnt this work???

    I have a simple forms authentication that all works fine, ie it validates
    user details against a db.

    When i try to redirect it goes off to nowhere.

    eg - code snippet:

    FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(dat("USER_ID"), AutoLogin.Checked)
    Context.Response.Redirect("index.aspx")
    'and tried just Response.Redirect("index.aspx")

    Both of which look like they are going off somewhere, but never reach the
    desired page. I have also tried the following within the <HTML> tag, but
    still the same result?

    if User.Identity.IsAuthenticated then
    response.redirect("index.aspx")
    end if

    This is driving me totally nuts!

    Hope someone can help.
    dave, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Have you tried calling Response.End after the redirect? I do it out of
    habit, don't know if it actually makes a dif.

    Randy
    http://www.kbcafe.com

    Randy Charles Morin, Nov 27, 2003

  3. dave

    Raj Lealh Guest

    This problem is driving me nuts too!!

    Response.End does not work either. :0(

    I've seen some strange things happen. I do have a version that works...

    But when I use a web service to authenticate (called when submitting
    username and password), the call to:

    Response.Redirect(
    FormsAuthentication.GetRedirectUrl(txtUserName.Text,
    false));

    does not work, but just loops on the login page.

    Is there anyone that knows why?

    Raj Lealh, Nov 28, 2003
  4. dave

    dave Guest

    FOUND IT!

    The reason in my case was SmartNavigation="True" was set at the top of the
    login.aspx page - soon as i removed it - it starting working.

    Hope this helps others......

    dave, Nov 29, 2003
  5. dave

    Raj Lealh Guest

    I found the problem was due to the size of the cookie (> 4.0 KB)

    I was trying to populate the cookie with group names retrieved from
    parsing through Windows 2000 Active Directory. The size of the output
    (xml) was too big, just over 4.0 kb, since I retrieved all nested groups
    that the user belonged to.

    I ended up implementing forms authentication without cookies, and now it
    works fine. You just have to put in a few extra measures to deal with
    security of the mangled URL... ;o)

    example of mangled url (contains session id in brackets):

    http://myserver.edu/(weQWerw34534532456)/admin.aspx

    Interesting.. eh?

    Raj Lealh, Nov 30, 2003