Response.Redirect from SSL to non SSL with port drops port.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sean Wolfe, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Sean Wolfe

    Sean Wolfe Guest

    I have this wierd bizarrre problem that I'm experienceing with the
    Response.Redirect() method.

    I have a site where the users are on a particular page in SSL. When they
    post the data back, and the processing is done, it then tries to
    redirect them back to the non-SSL site. But the site is on a
    non-starndard port number. I place in the Response.Redirect() method the
    Fully qualified path to the URL and when ASP.NET makes the Response, the
    response drops the port number, therefore redirecting the user to a 404.

    For example:
    Users are on a page:
    https://www.somefqd.com/selectCustomer.aspx?blahblah=blahblah

    they post back some data, and then the aspx page process the data, and
    then a call to Response.Redirect()

    Response.Redirect("http://www.somefqd.com:8080/default.aspx");

    What I end up seeing, using fiddler, the request ends up being
    http://www.somefd.com/default.aspx.

    It's quite strange, becuase I even drop into the debug code and make
    sure that the string passed to Response.Redirect is the fully qualified
    path. Any idea's on what is happening here?

    Sean
    Sean Wolfe, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Sean Wolfe

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Sean Wolfe wrote:

    > I have this wierd bizarrre problem that I'm experienceing with the
    > Response.Redirect() method.
    >
    > I have a site where the users are on a particular page in SSL. When
    > they post the data back, and the processing is done, it then tries to
    > redirect them back to the non-SSL site. But the site is on a
    > non-starndard port number. I place in the Response.Redirect() method
    > the Fully qualified path to the URL and when ASP.NET makes the
    > Response, the response drops the port number, therefore redirecting
    > the user to a 404.
    >
    > For example:
    > Users are on a page:
    > https://www.somefqd.com/selectCustomer.aspx?blahblah=blahblah
    >
    > they post back some data, and then the aspx page process the data,
    > and then a call to Response.Redirect()
    >
    > Response.Redirect("http://www.somefqd.com:8080/default.aspx");
    >
    > What I end up seeing, using fiddler, the request ends up being
    > http://www.somefd.com/default.aspx.
    >
    > It's quite strange, becuase I even drop into the debug code and make
    > sure that the string passed to Response.Redirect is the fully
    > qualified path. Any idea's on what is happening here?

    Actually, this problem is not that bizarre. I've been there twice
    already ;-)

    This will happen for example
    - if the HTTP Location header produced by the redirecting code is
    accidentally relative or
    - a firewall or proxy incorrectly translates port numbers from an
    internal network to the Internet or vice versa.

    I suggest to ask your networking guys to help you with this.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto: