    What's the solution?!

    Best wishes

    Malcolm Messiter

    Malcolm Messiter, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Malcolm Messiter

    Steven Burn Guest

    While <something>
    '// Setup Init
    Dim objXMLHTTP, tmStart, bErrorReturned, tmCurr, iTimeTaken, strURL
    strURL = "http://www.xyz.com?p1=xx,p2=yy"

    '// Begin objXMLHTTP
    set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
    on error resume next
    objXMLHTTP.open "POST", strURL, false
    objXMLHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent",
    Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
    objXMLHTTP.send ""
    tmStart = Now
    bErrorReturned = 0
    Do
    tmCurr = Now
    iTimeTaken = CInt(DateDiff("s", tmStart, tmCurr))
    If iTimeTaken > 8 Then '// 8 = timeout (in seconds)
    Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
    out</b></font>"
    objXMLHTTP.Abort
    bErrorReturned = 1
    Exit Do
    End If
    Loop While objXMLHTTP.ReadyState <> 4
    If bErrorReturned <> 1 Then
    if Err.Number <> 0 or objXMLHTTP.Status <> 200 then
    Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error: Query timed
    out</b></font>"
    else
    Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText
    end if
    end if
    set objXMLHTTP = nothing
    Loop

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jul 27, 2005

  3. > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

    > Response.Write = "<font color=""#ff0000""><b>Error:

    > Response.Write = objXMLHTTP.ResponseText

    Of course, these all should have the = removed (.write is a method, not a
    property).

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 27, 2005
  4. Malcolm Messiter

    Steven Burn Guest

    hehe knew I'd forget to remove something (I originally wrote it as a
    function, hence the =)

    Apologies for the screwup :eek:\

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jul 27, 2005
  5. I tried this thanks! I get a timeout error every time, but the URL does
    work when tested on its own.
    Any ideas?!

    Thanks!!

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Messiter, Jul 29, 2005
  6. It's working !!

    Thanks again! It's working now. I had blocked ALL udp ports on the server.
    With them open it can get to a DNS server and resolve the address.

    They're ALL open now. I wish I knew which ports were needed. I'd prefer to
    close the rest.

    Do you know which ports are needed for DNS?

    Best wishes

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Messiter, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Malcolm Messiter

    Steven Burn Guest

    Re: It's working !!

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    ::: Declaration :::

    Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not for
    profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven Burn.

    Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are provided on a
    free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will not ask for
    or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
    payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

    Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United Kingdom.

    * Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g. forums,
    sGB)

    Steven Burn, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Re: It's working !!

    Thanks ... but I tried that, and with only 53 open (UDP, and TCP too for
    good measure) it fails. I guess it needs other UDP port(s) too. I wonder
    which ?!

    Malcolm Messiter, Aug 1, 2005
  9. Malcolm Messiter

    Steven Burn Guest

    Re: It's working !!

    I've only opened port 53 for it on my router (TCP/UDP incoming/outgoing) and
    it's running fine?

    Have you checked the DNS data in the Event Viewer?

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Steven Burn, Aug 1, 2005
  10. Re: It's working !!

    I haven't checked the Event Viewer - not sure I know how! I will look into
    that.
    It certainly stopped working when I only had 53 open, and I guess I need
    to see what other ports are in use. I'll try now to run this event
    viewer....

    > I've only opened port 53 for it on my router (TCP/UDP incoming/outgoing)

    and
    > it's running fine?
    >
    > Have you checked the DNS data in the Event Viewer?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Steven Burn
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >
    > "Malcolm Messiter" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks ... but I tried that, and with only 53 open (UDP, and TCP too

    for
    >> good measure) it fails. I guess it needs other UDP port(s) too. I

    wonder
    >> which ?!
    >>
    >> "Steven Burn" <> wrote in message
    >> > 53
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > Steven Burn
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    >> > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >> >
    >> > ::: Declaration :::
    >> >
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not

    > for
    >> > profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven

    Burn.

    >> > Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are

    > provided
    >> on a
    >> > free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will

    not
    > ask
    >> for
    >> > or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
    >> > payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
    >> >
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United

    >> Kingdom.
    >> >
    >> > * Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g.

    >> forums,
    >> > sGB)
    >> >
    >> > "Malcolm Messiter" <> wrote in message

    the
    >> > server.

    >> prefer

    the
    > URL
    >> > does

    > iTimeTaken,

    Query
    >> > timed

    Query
    >> > timed

    message

    Malcolm Messiter, Aug 1, 2005
  11. Re: It's working !!

    I've played with the Event Viewer now for a while. Cannot seem to see any
    DNS or UDP data....

    > I've only opened port 53 for it on my router (TCP/UDP incoming/outgoing)

    and
    > it's running fine?
    >
    > Have you checked the DNS data in the Event Viewer?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Steven Burn
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >
    > "Malcolm Messiter" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks ... but I tried that, and with only 53 open (UDP, and TCP too

    for
    >> good measure) it fails. I guess it needs other UDP port(s) too. I

    wonder
    >> which ?!
    >>
    >> "Steven Burn" <> wrote in message
    >> > 53
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > Steven Burn
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    >> > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >> >
    >> > ::: Declaration :::
    >> >
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group is NOT a company, it is a non-commercial and not

    > for
    >> > profit collection of websites developed and maintained by Steven

    Burn.

    >> > Websites and domains currently owned by Ur I.T. Mate Group are

    > provided
    >> on a
    >> > free to view and use basis. Ur I.T. Mate Group does not and will

    not
    > ask
    >> for
    >> > or solicit, personal information*, password, credit card details or
    >> > payments. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
    >> >
    >> > Ur I.T. Mate Group and Steven Burn (CEO) are based in the United

    >> Kingdom.
    >> >
    >> > * Except where registration for an online service is required (e.g.

    >> forums,
    >> > sGB)
    >> >
    >> > "Malcolm Messiter" <> wrote in message

    the